Chapter 3- Ezra St.claire

Trigger warning: Domestic Abuse

=============================

The bell rang signaling the start of first period. Luckily, I have it off with Leo, Rowan, Lincoln.

I can't understand how that girl brought Sam down to his knees in seconds, it was totally badass.

The only way to describe her is art. 

She had the most delicious curves and a pair of rosy full lips that matched the tint of her soft, full cheeks. Her large ocean-like eyes were perfectly upturned. With a sharp jawline which was framed by her brunette curls that seemed to perfectly complement her silky golden skin, she resembled a goddess.

I was at the hotel at a meeting with my father. He thinks it's time I man up and do fucking something with my life, his words not mine. Little does he know I want nothing to do with him once I get out of here. 

You see, he is going to pay for my college as long as it is in business where I can learn how to run the company, but little does he know my plan is to play hockey there and hopefully get recruited to play pro.

I play hockey so nobody looks twice when they see bruises and if they ask I throw on a smirk and say 'It's from a bad hit, you know how it's', and they seem to let it go. Nobody knows besides my brother and Mom. I'm always just trying to protect them.

12 years ago

I loud sound of glass shattering wakes me up. I can practically feel my heart in my stomach. Oh no. 

It scares me so much I decide to go to Mama's room to sleep in there. I know Dad will be mad because he says 'I'm too old to be doing baby shit' but I decided that I'm scared enough to deal with his mean words.

I get to Mama's room and she's not in there, so I start to head downstairs. I can practically hear my heartbeat, what if somebody bad is down there and can hear it too?  

I finally make it downstairs and I see the lamp shattered on the ground, there's a huge dent in the wall next to it. What happened?

I hear a gasp and quickly look up to see fathers hand wrapped around Mama's throat. What do I do?

I run to Dad and kick him in the shin, I don't think he even knows I'm here, he's so lost in what he's doing. I grab his other hand and try to pull him away from Mama but that doesn't work, and in return, he swats me away with it. 

"Go upstairs Ez, just put on those headphones I bought you," Mama says gasping for air.

"No," I say sobbing, I quickly grab fathers hand and bite down on it as hard as I can.

"Fuck" he yells and lets go of Mom, making me not regret my action, I had to help Mama. He turns to me laughing, but I can tell this isn't a joke. This is definitely scarier than the loud sound of glass shattering

"You wanna be a man now, huh?" With a cruel smile, he turns to me.

I look at Mom terrified, silently asking her what to do. She looks equally as terrified and mouths 'run',  so I do just that. Dad doesn't expect me to, so I get a head start. I make it to the bathroom with enough time to lock the door before he gets there. 

As I turn around I  hear Dad start banging on the door trying to burst it open. I fall to my knees and crawl to the corner furthest from the door. I curl up into a ball and start rocking back and forth.

 I stare at the off-white walls praying that this is all a dream.

"Men don't run away from problems, boy" I heard him yell through the door. I start sobbing at that. What do I do now?

He eventually succeeds in breaking the door down.  That was the first time he beat me, but it wasn't the last.

Present

I get shaken out of my thoughts by Rowan, I think he's put two and two together by now but he leaves it alone. I think all the guys are waiting for me to tell them what's been going on. 

We've all been best friends since preschool, well, besides Rowan, he got here in the sixth grade.

 I think they could all tell that there was a change after I came back from my 3-week long family vacation. They asked me what was wrong the first couple of weeks I was back, but eventually, they dropped it, Dad, unfortunately, didn't, and the beatings continued, just in places where people couldn't see. 

The bell starts ringing signaling the end of this period, and we all groan, but still reluctantly stand up from our places on the bench behind the school. 

Rowan, Lincoln, and I all have English next block, but unfortunately, Leo doesn't and he has to head to P.E.

======================

Uhh, I hate Ezra's dad.

This was mentally draining to write, it actually makes me want to throw up. If you or someone you know is suffering from domestic abuse please call 800-799-7233.