15. re-occurring battles

{trigger warnings: strong language, violence, }

I made my way to the ruins that had been overrun by goblins. My presence was immediately noticed as i entered the magic barrier that protected their base.

Shit. There goes the element of surprise.

My plan had instantly been cast out and was no longer a possibility. So I had to come up with something else, something that didn't include breaking my vow to Ominis.

I froze for a moment as I allowed my mind to run wild, taking into consideration all of the possibilities that could play out, none of them ended well. None of them except one.

This was the moment when I came to realise that I didn't have much of a choice, no matter how I dealt with this, it wasn't going to end well for me and that was one thing I knew for certain. But as much as it pained me to abandon Ominis in that way, it was unfortunately for the greater benefit.

I wrapped my hand around my wand, gripping onto it tightly, almost as if my life depended on it. I separated my legs and stood in a firmer stance, making sure I was prepared for the battle I was about to face.

But nothing could prepare me for what was about to happen.

Everything was going as expected, I had taken down a few goblins, some fought back harder than others, and I was relatively unscathed apart from the odd cuts and bruises due to their retaliation.

My eyes scanned across the gathering goblins who ganged together before me, awaiting for their leader. But the goblin who came out, was most certainly not what I had expected.

His eyes were soft, and almost had a glisten to them, he looked kind compared to the other goblins I had seen.

I guess looks were deceiving after all.

I walked towards him, my wand in my hand as I prepared to cast bombarda, but the goblin somehow beat me to it.

Crucio!

A sharp pain shot through my hole body as I stumbled backwards, attempting to maintain my composure, I gripped onto my stomach as the pain was unbearable, but surprisingly it hurt less than when Sebastian cast it on me last year.

How strange.

I stood up straight fixing my posture, trying not to show any sign of weakness to the enemy before me. I had to end this. Now!

Stupify!
Incendio!
Bombarda!
Confringo!
Expelliamus!

Various spells rapidly emerged from my wand as I tried my hardest to take out the dozens of goblins surrounding me. But it was no use.

I had taken out the vast majority, roughly 8 goblins remained, but these seemed to be stronger than my previous foes. Almost as if they possessed magic also. Nothing about this battle was making any sort of sense.

My mind ran marathons as I struggled to understand the reasoning behind this encounter, the reasoning behind their consumption of magic. As I thought, I trailed away from reality, allowing my defences to fall.

"Avada Kedvra!" I heard come from the goblin in charge, this suddenly snapped me back to reality as I rolled out of the spells target view.

Thankfully I was conscious again and aware of what was happening in my surrounding area, that was surely cutting it closer than I would care to admit.

I took out the remaining goblins and only me and the leader stood within the crumbling ruins.

"So. What did I do to end up on your death list?" I spoke, my voice laced with agitation as I was clearly growing tired of the fighting.

The goblin spat at my feet before walking closer to me "You. Killed. My. Father." He spoke, emphasising the last word.

A grin appeared across my face "Father?" I let out a quiet chuckle as I shook my head in slight confusion "Funny. He never mentioned a kid. Must have slipped his mind when I slaughtered him." I spat, knowing I was ultimately teasing him to end my life.

And just as I had expected, he retaliated immediately.

"Crucio!!!" The goblin yelled, sending the red beam of light in my direction.

I quickly cast protego in order to block the incantation the goblin had just spoken.

"Your spells are sloppy. Especially considering who your father is" I shook my head, casting confringo and shooting the wand away from his stubby hand.

His face quickly turned into a frown as he glared at me from the opposite side of the castle remains.

I sighed, knowing this was going to end one of three ways.

Me dead.
Him dead.
Or. Both of us dead.

As long as he went first, that was all that mattered to me in this moment of time, my mind was clouded with images of vengeance and anger, almost to the point where I forgot my promise to Ominis.

Almost.

I quickly shook my head before casting one last spell in the direction of the shorter goblin. "I'm sorry." I spoke before holding my wand up in front of me.

Expelliamus!

The lifeless body of the goblin flew backwards, but not before he cast a final spell, an unforgivable one.

"Avada Kedavra!" Were the last words that came from the pale lips of the being I had just murdered.

I lifted my hand up to my face and I winced as I felt a stinging pain across my eye. I moved my hand back down into my line of sight, and funnily enough, it was covered in blood. My eye had been slashed.

I traced my hand down where the pain was lingering, and a deep cut now resides from the top of my eyebrow down to roughly an inch or two below my eye. Luckily just managing to scathe past my eye, not causing any sight issues or damage to my actual eye.

Then I thought, two generations of Ranrok's family, dead by my hands.
And three dead because of my selfishness, even if one was unintentional.

His skin was a ghostly white and his eyes were pale as his body laid motionless on the blood stained ground.

"Your blood is on Ranrok's hands.." I spoke before stumbling backwards, clutching at my body as I felt an unfamiliar pain growing inside me.

Then it hit me, his final words.

The infamous killing curse.

I was going to wind up dead after all.

                     *            *            *

I collapsed to the ground, clutching onto my chest as I felt my heart rate speed up.
I let out a small chuckle, my voice laced with a painfully tone as I attempted to hold back the tears which were desperately trying to escape my eyes.

And even as I lie dying. There was only one thing on my mind. One person.

Ominis Gaunt.

At least I could die happy knowing my last thoughts were of the boy who I loved so dearly.

"I'm sorry.. Ominis.." I muttered before my eyes fluttered shut, and my consciousness sank into a never ending pit of eternal darkness, surrounding me by complete nothingness.