18. safety.

{trigger warnings: none?}

A few weeks had passed since my battle with the loyalists, and my recovery was still still equally as agonising as the moment it occurred.

The only thing that managed to ease the pain was the fact that Ominis remained by my side as much as he possibly could, the only exceptions being his school lessons.

My limp body rested against the backboard of my bed as I scratched at my chest, in a failed attempt to soothe my rapid heart rate.

Ominis walked into my room and made his way towards my bed before sitting down and placing his hand on top of mine to stop the scratching.

I looked up at his frowned face and I raised my hand to his cheek, resting it against his icy skin. "I'm sorry I worried you.."

He nodded before lifting his head towards the direction of my voice "i'll always worry about you Vi. I love you" his voice was quiet, even closer to a whimper.

"I love you Ominis Gaunt." I muttered before pressing my lips against his forehead, smiling at the jolts of electricity that flowed through my body.

His face lit up at both my words and actions.

That sweet smile that never failed to melt me, his smile had always been the most beautiful one i'd ever seen and that wasn't going to change.

Ominis laid down and rested his head on my stomach before closing his eyes as he listened intently to my heartbeat.

My eyes closed shortly after his light snores began to flood my ears, calming me almost instantly.

~ ~ ~

I woke up to the sound of my alarm echoing throughout the room, signalling to me that it was time for my first lesson since the event that almost cost me my life.

I stumbled out of bed and quickly noticed that Ominis was gone. My face dropped at the thought of being alone again.

My mind was racing as I changed into my slytherin robes, and then cleaned myself up ready for defence against the dark arts.

Knowing that I was never going to be the same as I was before was tearing at me form the inside. Causing me to doubt my own abilities and emotions.

I quickly left my dorm room and made my way towards the tower, I took my seat and listened to the professors lecture before participating in the activity which would later teach me a new spell. Obviously I quickly learnt it and was able to use it effectively within a fighting scenario, hopefully I wouldn't have to use it in the near foreseeable future.

The lesson ended and I began walking towards my next one, herbology.

I had always been a natural when it came to herbology, I suppose I was naturally gifted when it came to caring for living things such as plants and animals. That's why herbology and beasts class were my favourites.

The beasts were my favourite by far, the way they lived their lives so freely, not having to worry about anything except for poachers. It was nice to think about the fact that perhaps I could have that one day.

A life without worry, without having to look over my shoulder everyday in fear of the past catching up to me and indefinitely causing my untimely demise.

Herbology went by quicker than I had been expecting, but at-least it didn't drag on for an eternity.

Professor Garlick sang my praises as always and that made me feel slightly better about everything that had happened these past few months. Knowing that I didn't lose any of my talents by receiving the faulty killing curse.

It was easier to know that I was still academically gifted and that I wouldn't have to worry about securing myself a future within the wizarding world.

Perhaps some day that future could include a family, a family with the one I loved the most.

Ominis Gaunt.