Arbor Vitae

(Charles pov)

The birds perch outside of the windows of the castle mock me. I wish I was one. Free no barriers. Able to fly and escape. Or maybe it would be better if I fell like Icarus. Maybe it would be better for everyone. I would get time off, help me get back in shape. A little pain never hurt anyone.

"Charles?" Espen stands over me looking down at me.

"Im going to fly."

"Pardon"?-" Espens face turns pale.

"I would get time off so I mean-"

A few other guards call my name.

"Charles! You wanna go on a perch mission with us?" They wave cuffing their hands to their mouths to make their already loud voices louder.

"Sure!"

I call back standing up. Leaving Espen who just stood there pale.

(King Wilburs Pov)

Hands, steady, shaky, rough, soft, warm, cold hands. A person's hands say a lot about them. My mothers were warm and soft, Haydens are cold. Espens are steady. Well usually today they are shaky. Uneven. They pour a glass of tea with shaky hands and eyes. Still not a drop spills.

"Espen."

"Yes your majesty?" Espen places down the tea pot.

"Could you do me a favor"

(chalres pov)

When I wake up my body aches. Curtains surround the bed im in, my leg laid straight covered by badages.

"Ah good your awake," A nurse opens the curtains

"Where am I?"

"The infirmary you have quite a funny story. I don't know all of it but a guard told me that A group of higher ranked guards found you and were talking some not very nice things" She pauses and tucks a blanket on me

"Ow-"

"Sorry dear, well apparently a butler came in and told them to stop and to help you. Lets just say the Guards weren't very happy about that. The strange thing was the butler didnt care. He even slapped one of them and ordered them all to take you here. What was their name again...Edison? Aspen? Oh right it was-"

"Espen!"

"Well yeah how did you know-" I launch myself up not caring how much my body tells me not to. "Dear you need rest!"

Hobbling out of the infirmary like a goblin I hear a voice.

"Charles?" Espen says a few feet behind me.

"Espen! Thank you I-"

"No.No no no you need to go back to bed-"

"Guess who?" Two hands cover my eyes. The two hands let go and turn my head around.

"Leo!" I say almost jumping into his arms. "Its so good to see you! When did you get here?"

"Not that long ago" He says holding his neck

"Oh that reminds me you should meet my friend Espen!-"

When I turn around Espen is gone. Did I miss them leaving. Or was I just imagining? Where did Espen go?