Chapter 2 |Oru thaiyin varutham|

Title: A mother's worries

Sundara Chozha sat on the throne with a worried look washed over his beautiful face, He was known for his facial beauty all over his kingdom, Hence the name "Sundara" which means beauty. His wife Vanavan Madevi sat alongside him, She was not equally beautiful as Sundara Chozhan but was equally brave and courageous as any man in the army.

"Our war general is deeply injured, Our soldiers have lost their morale to fight," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar said, He was the chancellor of the Chozha empire. "We need someone from the royal family to lead the war," He said.

"But how can we send our king? His health..." Anriuddha Brahmarayar, the minister said. He was a close friend to the Emperor. He looked at the unwell emperor and frowned.

"I can lead a war, I won't let my health pull me down," Sundara Chozhan said. Vanavan Madevi looked at him with sadness.

"You're our king now, We can't let you go, Araase," Brahmarayar said. "WE can't afford to lose you in the war, Your children are still young, They can't take over in case you..." He trailed off, everyone in the court understood what he meant and nodded in agreement.

Aditha Karikalan just turned sixteen, and he's not ready to carry the burden of being the emperor of such a vast kingdom, Well as for Arul Mozhi, he's just eight. Then there is Madhurantanka, who is the son of Sundara Cholan's brother, Gandaraditya Chola. But his father has specifically requested for him to be excluded from any royal duties and to be raised as a devotee of lord Siva.

"What else can we do, Brahmarayarye?" Pazhuvettaraiyer asked.

"We can send Adithan to lead the battle," One of the ministers spoke up.
Vanavan Madevi tensed at the statement.

Sundara Chozhan shook his head disapprovingly. "He's too young to lead an army by himself," He said.

"Who said he's going to lead the army alone? His grandfather Malaiyaman will guide him," Pazhuvettaraiyer said reassuringly.

Vanavan Madevi eased a little bit knowing that her father would guide her son, but the thought of pushing him into a bloody battlefield kept worrying her.

"It's not up to us to decide this if Karikalan isn't willing to go," Another minister said out loud. The other ministers agreed.

Sundara Chozhan thought deeply for a while, there was truly no other option. But something irked him. He looked at his wife for approval, she nodded reluctantly.

"Fine," He said. "Go...tell my eldest son that I asked for him to be summoned," He ordered one of the guards. The guard bowed and left.

Sundara Chozhan sighed at the decision. But he's confident his son will return with a glorious victory, his teachers have said good things about Karikalan, they always complimented him that he's one of the best warriors they have ever seen. Both in fighting and in intelligence. What's the use of a warrior who can fight like a tiger but lacks the ability to sketch out good war plans?

***

Adithan entered regally, He stood at the center of the court, folded his palms, and bowed to the elders respectfully.

"Yes, father," Karikalan asked.
"Aditha..." Sundara Chozha stretched. He scratched his eyebrows. Adithan sensed something was wrong.

"Is something wrong?" He asked stitching his eyebrows together.

"Aditha, our war general was injured during the war against the Rashtrakutas," Pazhuvettaraiyer started, "We need someone to lead the campaign,"

Adithan nodded. "I'll go," He volunteered readily. The ministers mumbled happily. A frown appeared on Vanava Madevi's face.

"Are you sure?" Sundara Chozhan asked.

"Father, it would be an honor to fight for our tiger flag," Karikalan stated proudly. "Please father, let me go, I'll make you proud," Karikalan said with confidence. Pazhuvettaraiyer patted Adithan's back.

"That's our young tiger cub," He said proudly.

Sundara Chozhan nodded. "Adihta, get ready, You'll start your journey at dawn,"

****
Karikalan smiled to himself proudly, he was finally getting a chance to prove his strength. He was walking around a flower pond with his hands behind his back. Fighting for the empire has been Adithan's dream since he was a child. He has always seen his father, grandfathers, the generals, and The Pazhuvettaraiyers coming home from war with glorious victories, Hoisting the tiger flag far and wide. Now, it was his time to show who he was. It was his time to make the empire proud, and he was confident he would.

"Aditha..." His mother called out for him. Adithan looked up and gave her a smile. But his smile melted as soon as she saw her worried face. "What, Amma?" He asked. Vanavan Madevi shook her head, but Adithan understood what was paining her.

"Are you not happy about me going to war?" He asked.

"Why wouldn't I be happy?" She said. "You bringing victories and glory to the Chozha empire would make me and your father very proud, but..." She paused. Her voice missed the usual confidence she had.

"Then what's worrying you?" He asked. "Amma, you should readily send me to war, You're the great Chozha empire's queen, you shouldn't be hesitating like this," He said.

"Aditha...I'm your mother first, then the queen," She said placing her tender hands on his cheeks. "Don't I have the right to worry for you?" She asked with a sad smile. Karikalan took her hands in his.

"I'm your son, Amma, nothing will happen to me," He assured her. "I'm the son of the Chozha empire, too, I should fulfill my duty as her child too," He said. She nodded at his words. It was her duty, too, to raise her children as great warriors, she couldn't stop them now.

"Just be careful," She smiled at him while giving a pat on his back.

"I have thatha by my side ma, nothing will happen to me," He said confidently. (Thatha - grandfather)

"Come home with the victory, My son, The empire should sing about your valor," She said.

Adithan nodded and got her blessings. "Bless me, Amma," He said as he bowed down to touch her feet. Vanavan Madevi lifted him up by his shoulders.

"My blessings will always be with you, My son," She said, keeping her hand on his head.

A/N

More Karikalan-Nadnini romance coming up in the next chapter!

Btw your thoughts on the PS2 trailer???