Chapter 34|Battle of Chevur-1|

Adithan stood in front of the mirror and mentally prepared himself for the war that is about to happen.

"You got this," Karikalan said forcing up a smile on his face, but the smile flattened as fast as it formed. He twisted his lips in anger and pulled back his hair in frustration.

"Why are you doing this to me, Nandini?" Adithan mumbled as he looked at himself again. He has changed a lot, even Adithan was taken aback by his looks. The hair which he maintained so lovingly, now brushed his shoulders messily. Gory battle scars decorated his shoulders and chest. Adithan winced and looked away unable to see himself like this, He walked toward a counter and started pouring himself a drink.

"Aditha?" Parthibendran walked in with a sigh. "Aditha are you seriously going to drink before stepping into the battlefield?" Parthibendran walked toward him and handed him an olai.

"From?" Adithan placed his drink down.

"Veera Pandiyan," Parthibendran said, Adithan gestured for him to read the script. "He has accepted our call for war," Parthibendran announced, a small grin forming on Adithan's face, Parthibendran opened and closed his mouth unable to recite the second part of the letter.

"What are the rules to end the war?" Adithan asked looking at Parthibendran. "Pallava?" Karikalan called out firmly, making Parthibendran jerk out of his shock.

"Yes... the r-rules," Parthibendran fumbled, Adithan raised a brow. "The war will only end at the death of the opposing leader," Parthibendran said out loud, Adithan laughed out loud.

"Very well!" Adithan laughed as he picked up his tiger-hilted sword. Parthibendran looked at him as if he was insane.

"Aditha, are you really going to go through a decision you took while you were drunk?" Parthibendran followed Adithan outside. "Aditha," He called out again.

Adithan stopped after a few yards and overlooked the soldiers who were preparing for the most important war of their lives. The elephants were being fed, the horses were being armored up, the barracks were filled to the brim with troops since Velar's men arrived yesternight. Adithan's face lit up a little when he saw Periya Velar and Malayaman talking in the distance.

"Aditha, I'm serious," Parthibendran pulled him back. Adithan groaned and turned back to Parthibendran.

"I'm serious too," Karikalan said, before turning back to leave.

"Aditha don't you understand the gravity of the situation?" Parthibendran asked following Adithan through the camp. "This war won't end until either one of you dies! If this war drags out it'll hurt the economy," Parthibendran yelled, frustrated with to Adithan always ignoring him.

"I'll take his head before dawn Pallava, don't worry," Karikalan said laughing to himself. Before Parthibendran could protest, Adithan took off toward his grandfather.

"Thatha, Mama," Adithan paid them their salutations.

"Oh!" Periya Velar exclaimed as he saw Adithan. "Look how much you've grown ilavarese!" Velar said patting his shoulders.

Adithan smiled slightly at Velar's words, Malayaman and Velar continued discussing the war plans while Adithan stood there promptly listening to them for a while. Then his mind switched off somehow and all he could think was Nandini.

"Karikalare?" Nandini's voice rung around his head like thousand temple bells. Adithan shook his head trying to block her voice out, "This is not the time, Adi, you're going to war," Adithan told himself and tried his best to not get distracted, but no matter how hard he tried her voice only got louder.

He felt as if she was close, like really close.

****

Madurai

Nandini rushed through the halls of the castle praying to herself that Veera Pandiyan still hadn't left for the war, fortunately she caught up with him just as he was preparing to leave.

"Nandini?" Veera Pandiyan said turning back to her, he ordered his men to get out of the chambers. "I'll be there, tell our men to be ready," He commanded, they bowed down and left. "What is it?" He asked.

"Take me with you to the war, please Veera Pandiyare," Nandini pleaded. Veera Pandiyan laughed and shook his head.

"No kanne, it's no place for a woman," Veera Pandiyan said calmly as he sheathed his fish-hilted sword.

"Please Arase! I'll join the healers, you know I'm a good healer," Nandini protested as she followed Veera Pandiyan out. "Please,"

"You're doing all this to meet that boy yes?" Veera Pandiyan sighed and turned back to her. "All this for a boy who didn't even love you?"

Nandini stood there and fidgited with her hands not knowing what to say, She wanted to accompany him to war, not only to see Karikalan but to save Veera Pandiyan too.

"Arase, I want to pay you back for saving me," Nandini let out.

"Do you really want to see me taking your lover's head?" Veera Pandiyan smirked.

"He's not my lover, Arase...I--I don't love him," Nandini fumbled with her words, tears pooled around her eyes as she uttered those words.

Veera Pandiyan smiled elated at her words. "Fine then," he said. "You can join us,"

"Thank you," Nandini smiled at a little to act convincing. She wanted to save Veera Pandiyan's life more than anything, Nandini knew Veera Pandiyan was a great warrior, no doubt in that. But he's fighting Adithan now, the man who care tear down through anyone's army.

Nandini had to be there next to Veera Pandiyan if Adithan even comes close to him. Maybe she could convince him to not kill Veera Pandiyan...Nandini was sure he give ear to her pleadings. Then she could escape from Veera Pandiyan and get together with Adithan again.

Nandini hoped and prayed to Perumal that everything would go to her plan.

A/N

Tomorrow is the dayyyyy

First and foremost I'm so sorry for disappearing for four days! I had like a lot of things going on.

Welp a small chapter today!