Chapter 29 ⎸Somarasam⎸

Alcohol

Adithan's hands trembled as he poured the red liquid into a golden glass, He set aside the jar and took the glass in his hand, and stared at it for a few minutes.

He had once vowed to himself that he'll never let a drop of liquor touch his lips as he saw the grasping effects it had on its consumers, the become prisoners to the comfort it provided, their hands shackled to the glass which held the poison to their lives.

But at that time Adithan didn't know that he would meet Nandini, he didn't know that he'll fall madly in love with her, he didn't know that he would get crazy about her.

He didn't know that they'll brutally rip them apart.

Adithan's grip around the glass tightened. He arched his eyebrows in anger.

Nandini

He gulped down the wine in one go, it burned as it went down his throat, the bitter taste it left behind triggered some painful coughs.

The drink didn't ease his pain as Adithan hoped it would, it just made it worse. Nandini's voice was getting louder and louder by the moment, Adithan clenched his head, blocking out his ears, but nothing helped, the sound was coming from his own head.

Adithan closed his eyes and took another shot.

"Nandini," Adithan groaned as he fell back on his bed. "Where are you...? Adithan mourned.

Adithan's whole world turned upside down the moment she left him.

The only reason he hadn't passed a dagger through his heart yet was because of the tiny strand of hope he had left. The hope that he would meet Nandini somewhere, that she would come running to him and forgive him. That's what's keeping him alive.

Adithan pushed himself up to pour himself another drink.

"Aditha...?" He heard his mother's sweet voice calling out for him again. She has been doing this for the past three days.

Adithan ignored her calling as usual and concentrated on pouring his drink into the glass, which felt like a hard task all of a sudden.

"Aditha, please open the door, it's been three days and I'm getting worried," His mother pleaded.

"Anna?" Arulmozhi's innocent voice boomed. He too has been standing on his doorstep waiting for him to show his head.

"I'm alive," Adithan mumbled, loud enough for her to hear. "I'm not dead yet, at least not physically," Adithan laughed bitterly.

"Aditha let's talk," Vanavan pleaded repeatedly knocking on his door.

"Did you talk to me before exiling Nandini?" He asked. Vanavan couldn't answer that question. "That's what I thought," Adithan plopped down on his bed.

"Aditha, please, won't you listen to your mother?" Vanavan tried to guilt trip him as her last resort.

Adithan hung back his head and groaned, annoyed by her constant nagging. He placed the glass down and shook his head to clear his cloudy vision before stumbling down his room to reach the door.

Vanavan Madevi sighed in relief as she heard the door being opened.

Adithan pushed open the door and turned back, not wanting to face them. Especially Kundavai who stood there like she didn't do anything.

"Oh my god! Aditha!" Vanavan Madevi gasped as she saw the chamber trashed like anything. The lamps and vases laid there on the ground shattered, the mirror broken to pieces, everything was out of its place.