Chapter 5 |Kundavai's fury|

The priests chanted their hums and mantras, blessing the young prince and wishing him luck for the upcoming war. A special Pooja was done in honor of the god under Adithan's name, but Adithan was standing there absentmindedly. Kundavai and Arulmozhi stood with Sembiyan Mahadevi, the wife of Sundara Chozhan's brother, an intelligent lady whom even the king often consulted for advice on the political aspects of the empire.

Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar was telling him something about the war and giving him some advice, but his mind switched off as soon as Nandini entered with the flower garlands. He smiled at Nandini, and they made eye contact for a split second, but Nandini turned away immediately. His eyes were fixated on her.

"Ilavarese," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer called out.

"Haan," Adithan said without lifting his eyes from her.

"You understood what I was saying, right?" he asked. Adithan nodded.

"Set up a camp under the Verkodi mountains, spy on them for a week, study their movements, then attack," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer told him.

"Seri, thatha," Adithan said.

"Take care of yourself, Ilavarese," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer finally left him alone and joined his brother, Chinna Pazhuvettaraiyer.

Kundavai looked at Karikalan, who was looking at Nandini with his love-filled eyes. Kundavai shook her head and cringed.

"Who is Anna looking at, Akka?" Arulmozhi asked as he looked up to his sister, who was giving Adithan a death glare.

"Nandini," Kundavai scoffed. She turned back to Sembiyan Mahadevi, who was deeply praying to the god. Her wrinkled face looked so peaceful when she prayed, so Kundavai didn't want to disturb her. She wanted to distract her brother's mind from Nandini; she wanted to release him from Nandini's love net.

Nandini and another boy were offering the flowers to the god.

Kundavai stealthily moved towards Karikalan and stood next to him; he didn't even notice her as his thoughts were filled with Nandini.

"Anna," Kundavai called out. He didn't respond at first. "Anna!" she called out again and shook his arms. Adithan jerked awake from his dream and looked down at Kundavai's face.

"Yes?" he responded.

"What did Appa tell you?" Kundavai asked.

"Nothing much," Adithan responded curtly and turned back to Nandini.

"Anna, this is not good for you," Kundavai whispered so that no one else would hear them. "Your love for Nandini is dangerous," Kundavai said. Adithan raised his hands and gestured for her to stop.

"I know what's good for me, Kundavai," Adithan responded, His voice showed a tinge of anger. But he composed himself as Arulmozhi approached them.

"Anna! did father give you a new sword?" Arulmozhi asked cheerfully as he pointed to Adithan's waist. Adithan looked down at him and nodded with a smile.

Kundavai turned away and crossed her arms.

"Will I get a new sword when I go to war too!" Arulmozhi asked.

"Of course, Thambi, with that sword you'll conquer the whole world," Adithan said proudly.

Before Arulmozhi could respond, Sundara Chozha called out Adithan's name.

The priests splashed the holy water of the Kaveri River on Adithan and blessed him, Adithan accepted their wishes with joined palms. Then he turned towards his parents and touched their feet to get their blessings.

"May you live well for hundred years and bring victories to the Chozha empire," They wished. He, then greeted Sembiyan Madvei who looked at Adithan with eyes filled with pride. She was like a second mother to Sundara Chozhan's children and played a huge role in their upbringing. She loved them more than her own son.

"Bless me, Periya Pirratiye,

Sembiyan Madevi dipped her thumb in wet vermillion and applied it to Adithan's forehead. Adithan moved on to get blessings from the other elders like the Pazhuvettaraiyer brothers and Anirudha Bramaraiyar.

No matter who talked with Karikalan, the corner of his eyes searched for Nandini. Kundavai grew restless, she had to do something about this situation before it worsens.

Kundavai saw Nandini slipping away from the crowd, She exited the temple via the back entrance. Kundavai decided this was the right time to talk to Nandini about what's what.

Arulmozhi was playing with the colorful flowers which were tied down from the ceiling, while the elders were talking to her brother, Karikalan. Kundavai slipped away from the crown without being spotted.

She stepped outside and looked around for Nandini, but she was nowhere to be found.

Kundavai walked along the stairs of the Kaveri River, wondering where Maya Mohini had gone. After a few moments, she spotted her sitting 'innocently' on the steps of the pond. Kundavai couldn't understand what her brother saw in Nandini that made him lovesick. To Kundavai, She looked like an owl, a witch who had come to separate her from her brothers. Kundavai walked up to her.

On hearing the jingling of Anklets, Nandini looked back.

"Oh, what a delight to behold the presence of the great Illya Piratti! To whom do I owe the honor of your presence?" Nandini said in her mesmerizing voice which had imprisoned Karikalan. She got up and greeted the princess.

"Did you lose your way in the crowd, Princess?" Nandini asked.

"Me? losing my way in my kingdom?" Kundavai replied with a mocking smile.

Nandini nodded. "Karikalar told me a lot about your intelligence," Nandini complimented her.

"Did he just tell you about me or...did he also confess his love for you?" Kundavai asked, now in a serious tone. Nandini looked at Kundavai as if she was a ghost.

"Sorry?"

"What did you do to my brother?" Kundavai asked rudely. "Why is my brother running behind you like a madman? what sorcery did you bewitch on him?"

"I simply don't understand you, Princess," Nandini said innocently, but Kundavai was not ready to buy any of it.

"You're acting may work on my brother, but not on me--," Kundavai said. Nandini listened to Kundavai lashing out at her with a frown on her face.

"Princess--"

The howling of trumpets cut off Nandini's words. The soldiers marched out of their barracks with their horses and took their position at the gates of the palace, preparing for the departure of the prince. She saw her brother coming out of the temple premise on the back of a horse, he was showered with flowers left, right, and center. Kundavai turned back to Nandini who was looking at the Prince intently.

"Nandini!" She called out. Nandini peeled her eyes off the prince and looked at her. "I'll give you one and only warning, Stay away from my brother," Kundavai said coldly. With that Kundavai ran off toward the procession and joined it, leaving Nandini alone and confused.

***

A/N

I'm sorry if this chapter has some errors, I was sick for like the past 2 days and didn't have the energy to edit.

Any Who don't forget to vote and leave a comment!