Chapter 25 |Kanchi|

Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer and Adithan departed from the Thanjai fort even before the sun rose. Adithan sported a small frown on his face as they rode down their horses through the calm streets of Thanjai. He wanted to meet Nandini before leaving, but the Periya Piratti insisted on them leaving before sunrise and rushed them out.

"Why the long face, Ilavarese?" Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer's voice grainy voice made Adithan wake up from his thoughts. He was following Adithan closely on his own horse, along with five other Chozha soldiers. "Is something worrying you?"

"Nothing," Adithan lied in a low mumble.  Something was worrying him, he had an uneasy feeling in his chest, a feeling which he couldn't shake off. 

"If you say so," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer said. "If you want to tell me something, I'm always here," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer took the lead.

The sun slowly started raising, showering the streets with its golden light. The streets which were empty a while ago started to fill up with people, Women stepped out of their houses to sprinkle some water and adorn the front of their small houses with beautiful kolam. The men kissed their wives' goodbyes and went on with their daily duties. The day was perfect, to say the least, cool breeze, warm sunshine filled with the beautiful chirruping of the songbirds.

Usually, Adithan would be awe-struck by such a sight, but not today, He was least bothered by all these. He wanted to turn back his horse and ride off toward Thanjai, towards the temple, towards his sunshine, towards Nandini.

Adithan didn't even realize he was in Kanchi until Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer abruptly stopped the horse in front of him. It was noon when they reached there, the sun was hammering down like a hammer. 

"Ilavarese, Welcome to the Kanchi fort," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer said jumping down from his horse. 

Adithan shielded his eyes from the sun and looked up at the first, The fort was no less beautiful than the Thanjai fort. The former home of the Pallavas dominated the landscape in front of them in a proud and impressive manner. The pole which had the lion flag of the Pallavan empire now sported the Chozha empire's pouncing tiger which was waving proudly on top of the mandapam.

The minor kings, who ruled under Sundara Chozhan stepped out to greet Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer and the Crown Prince.

"Our salutation to the Crown Prince and the king of Pazhuvoor," The Kadamboor king said. Adithan got down from his horse and paid his salutations to the kings.

"It's such a pleasure to meet all of you together," Adithan smiled. 

They all entered the meeting room, and the discussion commenced. The old men started off the discussion with the increased rates of taxes. He thought this discussion would end in about an hour but boy was he wrong.

The birds outside distracted Adithan, he looked out of the window from his seat, He gaped at the wonderful scenery outside. 

Mountains rolled over each other in rows upon rows, making room for the lush green fields that surrounded them. The tall trees swayed side by side due to the gentle breeze presented to them by the wind gods. On the side, a river flew providing the fields with water. 

A golden palace here would look nice, A random thought popped into Adithan's head. Kanchi Pon maligai. The name has a good ring to it, he thought. Maybe he and Nandini could live there after their marriage, but Nandini would look more beautiful than all the gold combined. It would be like storing a diamond in a golden locker. Adithan started dreaming about a family with Nandini, three kids, 2 girls, both of them as their mother, a boy like Arulmozhi, and a peaceful life with his queen. 

He smiled to himself, and then suddenly he realized where he was. He placed his hand near his mouth and hid his smile so that the others wouldn't think that he was a madman.

*****

Adithan wanted to run his head through a wall. It's been five hours since they set foot inside this hall and no one was in the mood to leave any time soon. They kept on agreeing and disagreeing with each other. What should a barely sixteen-year-old boy do here?

Whenever they looked like they were going to agree with something, someone says something, and the whole discussion crumbles down into a fight. Adithan massaged his temples, it took every remaining bit of his energy to not groan in front of these men.

"Listen to me Periya Velar," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer sighed. "It's impossible to build a dam there," He sounded fed up with these people too. "And no, we can't raise the taxes anymore, right ilavarase?" Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer turned back to Adithan who was sleeping with his eyes open.

"Uh..." Adithan jerked up. They were all intently looking at the Prince hoping that he'll add something valuable to the discussion. "Yea, but don't you think we should ask the Chakravarthy about the situation first?" Adithan said something vaguely related to the conversation.

The men mumbled amongst themselves.

Did I say something stupid? Adithan thought to himself.

"What the Prince said was right too, I'll take all your queries to the king," Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer rose up. Adithan got up with the other kings. He sighed a sigh of relief.

"Finally!" Adithan groaned. "Shall we go back home Thatha?" He asked Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer as they walked out.

"We'll leave tomorrow, it's getting dark," He replied. The smile on Adithan's face fell.

"Tomorrow?" Adithan arched his eyebrows. Periya Pazhuvettaraiyer nodded. Disappointment is all Adithan felt right now.

"Sembiyan Madevi insisted that we stay here till dawn," He further added. "With all the rebels roaming around,"

The feeling in his chest multiplied by a hundred times. "Oh..." He sighed in defeat.

*****

The Kanchi people presented the visitors with a hearty meal. But Adithan couldn't even swallow down a grain of rice. Something was wrong, So terribly wrong, Adithan's heart screamed.

******

Thanjai

Nandini sat at the corner of her tiny house and stared at her hands.

She looked at the golden ring intently as it gleamed against her palms reflecting the moonlight. She kissed the face of the ring, imagining Adithan in its place.

"I miss you, Karikalare," She sighed, wondering when he would come back. She fidgeted with the ring, every moment in Thanjai without Adithan felt like torture. Ever since Adithan introduced her to the people as the Chozha Crown Princess, people started acting a bit weird around her.

They talked about her behind her back, telling all sorts of mean things.

The piercing glances of people, the accusing looks they gave made her feel uneasy. She wished for Adithan to be by her side, always, so that he could protect her from this awkwardness.

Suddenly she heard a knock on the door. Nandini's heart jumped a beat, She jolted up and rushed to the door, smiling, thinking it was Adithan.

As soon as she opened the door, her smile vanished upon seeing the cruel guards in front of her, standing on her doorstep, the people who were going to rip her life away from her. The moment which was going to turn her life upside down stood in front of her.

A/N

*Sigh*

It's happening 😭

Might upload the next chapter today. Since I already wrote it. Just needs some editing.