Chapter 20 |A thousand wounds|

Nandini stood behind the tree and watched as Sembiyan Madevi and Sundara Chozhan entered the Vaidiyar's house to visit the Prince. She bit her fingers anxiously, as she saw Sundara Chozhan's pained expression from the window.

"Everything will get better with time," Sembiyan Madevi said to the emperor.

They spent a few minutes with the Prince before Anriuddha Brahmarayar interrupted them with a piece of important news. Sundara Chozhan and Sembiyan Madevi left at once.

Nandini waited for the right moment to sneak in, but the moment never came. Chinna Pazhuvettaraiyer's guards stood in front of the house like they were glued onto the ground. Not even an ant could pass them.

"Perumale, the Prince should be okay, nothing should happen to him," Nandini prayed. "Please do something so that I could meet the Prince," She sneakily added in a second wish.

Just as she opened her eyes, Thirumalai appeared in front of her like a God-sent wish. He had a basket of herbs in his hands.

"What are you doing here, Nandini?" Thirumalai asked.

"N-Nothing Anna, nothing at all," Nandini said.

"Oh..." Thirumalai sighed. "Did you hear? Someone attacked our Prince it seems," he said with pity

"Is that so, Anna?" Nandini asked acting as if she didn't know.

Thirumalai nodded. "These herbs are for him only," he said showing Nandini the basket. A flame lit up in Nandini's mind.

"Anna, I'll give these to the Vaidiyars," Nandini offered and tried to snatch the basket from his hands.

"It's okay ma, I'll take care," Thirumalai said as he snatched it back.

"Anna, I'll take care of it, don't you even trust me to deliver some mere herbs?" Nandini huffed.

"Oh no no, I trust you, who would I trust except you?" Thirumalai let out, not wanting to anger his sister. "Fine, here," He handed over the basket to Nandini.

Nandini took it in her hands and perched it on her hips. "Thank you, Anna!" She beamed at rushed towards the Vaidiyar's house.

"Did she hit her head or something?" Thirumalai thought as he walked back to the temple. "Perumale, save this girl,"

****

"Who are you?" One of the guards asked rudely and blocked Nandini's way.

"Iyya, the vaidiyar asked me to bring these herbs for the Prince," Nandini replied politely.

"Vaidiyar said he sent out a bald boy," The other asked.

"He's my brother, and he has a name," Nandini shot them an angry look.

"Is that so?" The other guard raised his eyebrow. "Shall we let her in?" He asked the other guard.

"Fine, you go," The guards moved out of her way. Nandini nodded and walked past them and entered the house.

"Vaidiyare?" She called out, but no reply came. She set the basket down aside and looked around. It was just a small hut with two rooms, one to brew medicines and one for the patients.

Nandini confirmed that no one was there and immediately rushed towards the other room to see the Prince.

Tears streamed down her face as soon as she saw Karikalan lying on the bed, unconscious, The man who used to beam with energy laid there beside her bearing all the bloody wounds.

She knelt down beside him and touched his face with her flower-like hands. "Karikalare..." She wept. She pushed his hair aside and looked at his face. His face didn't look peaceful, it was filled with pain.

'Oh! How much pain is he going through right now?' Nandini thought. "God, give all that pain to me," She prayed as she held Adithan's hands in hers and kissed them gently. She rested her head on his chest and cried her eyes out. This was all because of her, she thought, she shouldn't have led the Prince to the woods.

Nandini kissed his chest and kept wailing. I am dangerous to him, I should stay away from him, He got attacked because of me. These thoughts ran through Nandini's mind. But how much ever she wanted to stay away from him, She couldn't. An invisible force binded them together. The way his loving eyes search for her, The spark in his voice whenever he utters her name, The way how she forgets the world whenever he holds her in his arms, all these made it very difficult for Nandini to leave him.

"I'm not dead am I?" She heard a low voice.

"Karikalare?" Nandini gasped as she saw Adithan's face, now free of any pain.

"I heard your wailings and I almost thought I was dead," Adithan joked. His charm and mockings didn't leave him even in the gravest of situations. "However, your kiss made me realize that I was very much alive," Adithan said.

"Nandini I would bear a thousand wounds if you would keep kissing me like that," Adithan said as he tried to sit up.

"No, Karikalare!" Nandini got up and made him lie down again. "You should rest," Adithan rolled his eyes and laid back down.

"How can I kiss you back if I lie down like this?" Adithan smirked as he plopped his head down on the silky pillow. "I want to return the favor," Adithan said, Before Nandini could react, Adithan pulled her closer to his chest, Nandini yelped as she fell down next to him. As their noses brushed against each other, they exchanged glances. Her hair fell on his face, drenching him with the sweet scent of the flowers she adorned it with. Adithan smiled, his dimples were on full display for Nandini.

Nandini poked Adithan's dimples and smiled. Adithan held Nandini's beautiful moon-like face in his hands and planted a kiss on the tip of her nose. Nandini returned the kiss on his cheek.

"Oh! how much trouble did I go through to get this kiss earlier," Adithan sighed as he rubbed his fingers against her flawless face. "Those sinners could've attacked me earlier if this was going to be the effect of it," Adithan scoffed. Nandini simply smiled at his words, not knowing what else to say.

Adithan's love for Nandini grew tenfold due to this incident. The way she cried for him, the way she refused to leave his side. She also saved his beloved brother's life for god's sake, Adithan will always express his gratitude for that. "Thank you, Nandini," Adithan whispered.

Nandini shook her head. "No, Karikalare, I'm the one who should be thanking you," Nandini sighed. Adithan raised his eyebrows, "I want to repay your love by being there for you whenever you need me, just as you've always been there for me," Nandini said, these words only made Adithan's love for Nandini grow even more.

"I--"

"Our salutations to the Ilaya Piratti," The guards outside boomed.

Nandini gaped and looked at Adithan in terror, "Where will I hide?" She yelped as she got up. Before she could go, Adithan held her wrist and gestured for her to sit down beside him. Nandini opened her mouth to protest.

"Nandini, I'm never going to let you go, here on forth, Just like you said, I'll always be there for you," Adithan said firmly. "Let Kundavai come," Nandini tried to shake off his hands but Adithan held a firm grip.

"Anna?" They heard Kundavai call out as she entered the room. "Ann-Oh for god's sake," Kundavai scoffed and turned back in pure disgust, as soon as she saw Adithan and Nandini holding each other's hands romantically.

Nandini looked at Kundavai and then at Adithan who blinked his eyes as a sign of reassurance. But no matter how much he reassured her the fear in her heart was constant. Nandini knew no one could stop the upcoming storm that Kundavai was about to cause.

A/N

Hello Makkale!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Bruh this took me way too long to write, I started this chapter yesterday at 6 or something and finished it just now. Romance is not really my forte but I am getting comfortable writing.

also which other ships would you like to see in this book?