Chapter 17 |Aadi perukku|

Aadi Monsoon Festival

Adithan and Arulmozhi raced through the corridors of the royal palace.  They heard someone talking about the Aadi Perukku festival which was going on in Thanjai, it was a festival celebrated on the 18th day of the month 'Adi'. People usually gather around the water bodies to offer poojas to the water gods and there was going to be a huge celebration, Adithan and Arulmozhi were not going to miss it. 

Adithan and Arulmozhi barged into the king's chambers. "Appa!" They called out.

Sundara Chozhar looked up and smiled at them. "Ah, My selvamgale," He said happily and he welcomed them with open arms. Anriuddha Brahmarayar stood by the king's side.

Adithan and Arulmozhi paid their salutation to the Emperor and the minister. 

Sundara Chozhan made his boys sit on either side of him and patted their shoulders. "What is the reason for your visit?" He asked the boys who looked at each other. Arulmozhi looked at Adithan and gestured to him to talk first, Adithan shook his head and told him to ask first. Sundara Chozhan laughed at the boys. "One of you speak!" He told.

"Appa," Adithan rubbed the back of his neck, "I and thambi wish to go to the Aadi Perukku festival that's happening in Thanjai," Adithan spat out finally. Arulmozhi nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes, Appa!" Arulmozhi beamed. "We want to see the festival!" Arulmozhi's eyes lit up in excitement.

Sundara Chozhan thought deeply about the boy's request. Adithan and Arulmozhi pierced him with hopeful eyes. Letting these boys together unsupervised outside the castle grounds is dangerous, Sundara Chozhan thought.

"We can't let you boys alone in such a crowd," Anriuddha Brahmarayar spoke Sundara Chozhan's mind.

Arulmozhi's eyes lost all the excitement and turned gloomy, He looked at his brother hoping that he would protest.

"But I'll take care of him," Adithan protested. "You sent me to war, can't to send me to our capital?" Adithan scoffed. "Appa, please," Adithan pleaded.

"I'm not hesitant in sending you, it's just Arulmozhi," Sundara Chozhan said.

"Appa, then leave Arulmozhi, I'll go," Adithan laughed. Arulmozhi shot him a look of betrayal. Anriuddha Brahmarayar leaned in closer to the king and whispered something into his ear, A frown appeared on Sundara Chozhan's face.

Sundara Chozhan shook his head. "No, Aditha, I can't let you both go," Sundara Chozhan sensed the boys getting moody. He patted their shoulders and tried to cheer them up. "Chin up, boys, I'll let you go alone when you're old enough,"

Adithan nodded curtly and got up. "Okay," He sulked. "We'll take our leave then," Adithan said as he bowed down and left.

Arulmozhi followed his brother outside."Anna! This is so unfair," Arulmozhi scoffed as he leaned against a pillar.

"Well, if the elders say so, there must be a reason behind it," Adithan said. As Aithan predicted, There was a reason behind it. A spy has bought in the news that the Rashtrakutan rebels have entered the kingdom to get revenge for their king's murder and the young boys were on the top of their lists. This is why Anriuddha Brahmarayar refused to send the boys. 

Without realizing the gravity of the situation, Little Arulmozhi decided to sneak out.

Arulmozhi jumped down from his chambers and ran towards the stables with his small training sword in his hands. "Will you come to the Aadi Perkku with me?" He asked one of the horses as he brushed its snout. The horse neighed as a sign of approval. Arulmozhi smiled and untied the horse from the pole, He lead the horse outside and stood near the walls of the back entrance waiting for a perfect moment to slip out.