Chapter 4 |Chozha nattin veera val|

Title: The Chozhan empire's deadly sword.

Nandini rested her cheek on her palms and looked at Karikalan’s peaceful face. He fell asleep beside her, snuggling her other hand close to his heart. A smile was drawn on Nandini’s face. He looked so childish in his sleep. His mid-length curly hair fell on his face when the wind blew. Nandini caressed his forehead with her soft palms.

Oh! How much she loved this man. She would give anything to be with him forever, she was lost in her thoughts. She imagined the moment when he would take her hand, and their marriage being celebrated throughout the Chozha empire. People who have looked down on her would regret it. All her life this was the case, She was just treated like a helper, just a girl who sings in the temple. She felt unimportant wherever she went. Even his sister treats her like that. Only Adithan respected her as a fellow human. But that won’t be the case after she marries him. Everyone will respect her. Everyone.

The sun's rays peaked through the mountains shyly and lit up the sleeping Prince’s face. Nandini looked at him with her eyes overflowing with love, but it was cut short. The guards marching far away could be heard which shook Nandini awake from her dream. She looked back, they seemed to come in their direction, and this panicked her. “Karikalare,” She shook Adithan’s shoulders, but he didn’t wake up. Nandini bit her fingers in panic. “Karikalare??” She whispered again but he was sleeping like a baby. She finally gave up after a few tries. The footsteps came closer and closer.

She gently slid away her hands from his chest and got up, she looked back at him and took off.

***

"Nandini," Karikalan groaned as he rolled over, he hoped to snuggle closer to Nandini but was instead met with icy cold water. Karikalan gasped as he fell into the river. He kicked up his legs and swam to the surface. "Ughh!" He whined at his stupidity.

He got to the shore and coughed out the water. Well, that's one way to wake up in the mornings, just plunge yourself down the river. He was still in a faze. He shook his head and wiped his face so he could see clearly. Adithan hit his forehead. How stupid it was to fall asleep near a river. He made a mental note not to do that ever again.
"Anna!" He heard his sister's voice calling from a distance.

"Haan!" His voice was shrill. He coughed to clear his voice.

Kundavai made her way to him, and little Arulmozhi followed her as usual. She stood, shocked, as soon as she saw her brother drenched in water.

"Anna! What is this?" She asked with a smile playing on her lips.

"If you told me you were going to take a bath in the river I would've come too no, Anna!?" Little Arulmozhi chimed.

"Me–uh…" Adithan stuttered and ran his hand through his wet hair. "Nandini," He whispered to himself in a low tone and turned around to look for her.

Kundavai crossed her arms and gave her brother a deadly glare. "Were you with her again?" She asked.

"With who?" Adithan asked her acting like he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Her," She emphasized. She raised her eyebrows but Karikalan acted out a confused look. She threw her hands in the air and scoffed. “Nandini!” She said as if she was rolling poison in her mouth.

“Pufff, No…” He scoffed as he avoided Kundavai’s glaring eyes. “Hey, Father asked me to meet me after sunrise, c’mon let's go,” He huddled Kundavai and Arulmozhi away from the river.
Kundavai knew her brother was hiding something, whatever he was up to, Kundavai didn’t approve of it. She hated Nandini. Kundavai was the kind of person who loves everyone and respects them regardless of their status, but something about Nandini irks her. Maybe there was a tinge of jealousy in her pure heart? Or was she merely looking out for her brother?