Chapter 30|Waiting|

1 month later.

It took Nandini some time to settle down in the Pandiyan's palace. Unlike Thanjai she wasn't made to stay near some temple in a hut, instead, she was given a chamber of her own which was a lot bigger than the hut Thirumalai and her foster family shared. But Nandini couldn't help but feel out of place, this didn't feel like home, this didn't feel like Thanjai. This place didn't have her Aditha Karikalan.

Nandini spent hours staring out the window which overlooked the beautiful and bustling city of Madurai. But her eyes ignored everything, they searched for Adithan in the slow-moving crowds.

She stood in the same place every day hoping that he would appear out of nowhere, but she was only met with disappointment.

Karikalar will come, he won't just abandon me. Nandini told herself for the first few days, but as time progressed her certainty turned into denial and denial turned into hopelessness.

Day after day, this was her routine, refusing food, staring out of the window waiting for Adithan like a mad lady, and bawling her eyes out at the end of the day.

Tears blurred her eyes as she looked out today, reality slapped her face. She was finally coming to terms that Adithan was not coming. Nandini sat down with her back against the wall and buried her face into her knees. 

Why didn't he come searching for me? Nandini thought as tears drenched her palms. Did he forget me?

"Nandini,"

She was now standing near the Kaveri River. The beautiful rays of sunset peeped out of the tall mountains.

"Karikalare!" Nandini's head shot up. Adithan had his usual charming smile, dimples poking out of his face. Adithan stood there with open arms.

Nandini ran up to him and embraced him in a tight hug. She clenched his top in her hands, buried his face in his chest, and cried like there was no tomorrow.

Adithan gently kissed her hair and pulled her back.

"Why did you leave me??" Nandini punched his chest.

"Ouch," He mock-whined with a smile. He pulled Nandini closer making her fall on his chest again.

"You forgot about me...didn't you?" Nandini mumbled.

Adithan simply chuckled. "Someone should cut my heart out to make me forget you, Nandini," He whispered in her ears.

Nadini looked back at Adithan, his black eyes sparkled against the red sunrise.

"I love you, Nandini," Adithan said, again taking her in a tight embrace. Nandini enjoyed the warmth she had missed out, for what felt like an eternity.

"Nandini," A voice, which was most definitely not Adithan's, called out.

The raspy voice made Nandini jerk out of her dream. Nandini looked up, to her utmost disappointment, found out that she was not standing near the Kaveri river, she was in Madurai staying as a refugee in Veera Pandiyan's palace.

She got up and wiped her tears before facing Veera Pandiyan.

"Sorry it took me so long to finally talk to you," Veera Pandiyan said sitting on the cot. "A king has a lot of responsibilities don't they?"

Nandini simply nodded and stood in the corner, trying not to meet the King's eyes

Veera Pandiyan looked at Nandini. "Still waiting for that boy?" He asked. Nandini stood there silently. "Do you really think he would come, looking for you?" He asked raising a brow.