Chapter 18 |The Rebels|

Arulmozhi opened his eyes as he finished praying and turned towards his brother who was looking at the opposite side. "Anna, the god is there," Arulmozhi said sarcastically. Adithan turned back to him and sighed. He wanted to talk to Nandini somehow without his dear brother interrupting them.

"You wanted to go watch the celebration no?" Adithan said. Arulmozhi nodded enthusiastically. "Go now, but stay within this temple's premises, Okay?" Adithan said. Arulmozhi's face lit up like a flame.

"Fine Anna," Arulmozhi agreed readily, he wanted to go to the festival as soon as possible.

"We will meet here in an hour," Adithan said.

"Haan fine," Arulmozhi said impatiently.

"Don't go near the lake, don't talk to strangers--"

"Anna fine, I'll be okay!" Arulmozhi whined at his brother's advice. "Can I go now?"

Adithan sighed and nodded. Arulmozhi took off like a horse and jumped down the stairs of the temple and joined the procession outside.

Adithan looked around to see if someone was watching them, but no one was around, he slowly inched closer to Nandini and hugged her from behind the pillar. Nandini gasped as she felt his wet hands wrapping around her.

"What are you doing here?" Adithan asked as he moved in front of her. Water dripped down from his hair.

"I can ask you the same question," Nandini said drying his hair with her saree. Nandini's long hair was let loose instead of her usual kondai, it fell down to her hips and swayed side by side when the wind blew.

She looked at him and ruffled his hair playfully. Adithan looked down and smiled.

"You look pretty when you let your hair loose," Karikalan said as he ran his fingers through Nandini's hair. He didn't realize how long her hair was until he saw it like this.

"Is that so?" Nandini asked. Adithan nodded. He leaned in closer caging Nandini between him and the pillar. He planted a soft kiss on her cheeks. Nandini pushed Adithan away from her and blushed.

"What are you scared of? Kundavai is not here," Adithan said as he got hold of her saree, he pulled her towards himself, Nandini did a twirl, and Adithan's back hit a pillar as she fell on him.

"You look more handsome in this than your Prince's attire," Nandini said looking down at his yellow clothes, well it used to be white but since Nandini decided to add some colour to it, it turned yellow.

"Oh really? I don't know, I liked the thief's outfit much better," Adithan said. "It helped me earn a kiss from my beloved didn't it?" Adithan brushed his nose on Nandini's red cheeks.

"Don't keep mentioning it Karikalare, it makes me shy," Nandini said.

"I couldn't stop thinking about it, Nandini," Adithan smirked recollecting the moment. "I will take it to my grave,"

Nandini frowned. "Karikalare...You'll have to take me to your grave. If something happens to you, I--" Nandini's eyes got a bit teary at the mention of death.

"Aiyo Nandini, the lake is already filled to the brim, don't add your tears to it or else the Chozha Desam will be flooded," Adithan laughed. Nandini punched his chest and glared at him.

"Humphf I'm mad at you," Nandini scoffed at Adithan's mocking words. She backed off and took off.

"Nandini! I was just joking!" Karikalan followed her as she headed toward the woods. "Nandini," He called out as he caught up to her. "How can you get mad at your future husband?"Adithan asked pushing her against a tree.