Chapter five

"Wake up Kar!" I felt Paris nudge me.

I hadn't even realized that I had slept, after last night's incidents.

   I didn't like rain.

Not Even a little bit.

Well, I didn't like what followed with it; thunder and lightening.

A great miracle I got any sleep at all.

   "What the heck?" I scowled.

    "C'mon, the party starts in an hour!"

    "Party?"

    "They're throwing us a welcome party"

     "Who throws a party in the morning?" I muttered sleepily.

      "Nobody does. It's two thirty in the afternoon!"

     "What?"

     "Yeah!" She sighed. I looked up from my pillow and saw she was already dressed in a cute pink dress.

    I quickly got out of bed, took a shower and got changed.

the good Folks of high peaks throwing a party? This I had to see!

     Why would they throw us a party?
Why did they want to celebrate our coming when some of them had subtle hostility present on their faces?

     There was also an expression they put on that I just couldn't put a finger to, like they knew something we didn't; a smug expression.

                    ***
Dad drove at top speed with the van, though high peaks was a small town, he claimed he didn't want us to be late. Even by a second.

   Whatever that meant.

    Due to dad's hasty driving, we got to the village's only event center a minute early. We quickly took our seats.
    I immediately noticed that there was a problem with my seat, a reptile sat at the next chair and it wasn't safe, I nervously told an usher the problem.

    "Of all the seats, you posses the one nearest to me" Philip sneered.

    I decided I had enough of his nonsense.

     "Can I ask you a question? Philip?"

     "Okay, go ahead Corinth"

     "Karissa!"

     "I am listening"

      "Why the hell do you hate me so much? I mean if I'd stayed in this goddamned town been in your Godforsaken life, I would understand the reason why you_" I whisper shouted.

     "Be quiet!" He whispered nervously. "Are you mad? Do you know how much trouble your harsh mouth could get us into?"

     "I don't care who the mayor is, I don't care if he's a sumurai, I don't care if he's a ninja, I don't care if he's chief of police of these CIA, I don't FREAKING CARE -"

   I was so carried away by my anger that I didn't notice how quiet the place had become, and that everyone was listening to us and that worst of all, the mayor was present.

    I turned red again.

     "We are sorry sir" Philip said meekly.

     "Yeah, my bad" I added sheepishly.
Immediately the mayor appeared, with his entourage, the whole town went quiet.

   Like the teacher had arrived and the students shut up.

      "We are gathered here today.." he began like this was a funeral.
And I thought those guys we met on our way we're creepy.

     "..to welcome the Kane family back, were they rightfully belong, back home"

  He paused. His silver eyes met mine.

    "The Kane family left us long ago, but they are back now!" He smiled coldly and I swear the room got colder, the dude was creepy!

     "They are back to stay" He went on.

      "Excuse me Sir," I interrupted.
      Mum looked at me like I had just run over her favorite vase. The look on Dad's face told me I was in tons of trouble, but I didn't care much.

     "What is the matter, child?"

    "Erm... It's Karissa but, ok" I rolled my eyes "we just come here on vacation. Not to stay."

     The whole town burst out laughing.

The sound of their laughter echoed like bells ringing in a faraway church.

     "What's so funny?" Kyle wanted to know.

     "Nothing. We hope you enjoy your stay" Mayor goosebumps chuckled.

     "At this rate, I might even leave before the  freaking vacation's over" Kyle muttered to himself.

     "KYLE!" Mum cautioned.

     "What?!" He snapped "This town is Freaking creepy! Since we got here, only wierd things have happened! There's no internet connection, the clocks literally don't work! They are all stuck at 17:54! "

     He pointed to the large clock tower. Eerily, the time was
17:54.

    "There is a fault with the tower, young man."

     "So there's a fault with my this too?" He held out his phone.

     The whole town gasped like he pulled out a gun. They whispered nervously among themselves.

    "Okay. I'm just leaving this shit hole of a hometown!" He turned to me "See you at home, our real home"

    He walked out. Kyle had left.  Seconds later, the roar of a van was heard and I   wondered whether It was a bad idea to stay.

________

Please vote n comment.

Hope ur enjoying the chapters.

   ~Kara