Chapter fifteen

Gabriel.

The guy.

The creepy guy. With the eighteen hundred accent. The man that had warned June and I.

     "Can not recognize me without your sister?" He snorted. "The she-devil"

      "Hey!"

      "A really foul decision. My heedings utterly moot!" He fumed.

      What the actual Quack? And I thought June Juanita kane was crazy.

    "What is going on and I want the whole truth."

     "Well" he sighed glancing behind his back again. If the dude was a rapper he would have been called the Backchecker.

     "It involves a debt. An unpaid debt."

     "My grandparents?"

     "So you walk in oblivion?" He smiled. "In ample time,  the destined, promised child would find out everything... "

      Destined child? like destiny's child?  Was all this just about the time I sang a classic Beyoncé' song Iat my parents twentieth anniversary so offkey that Macy got an earache?

I told them I was sorry once the guests left immediately after.

   Seriously, Kyle just couldn't stop laughing, he almost got hit by a car anyways; serves the little brat right.

    I thought about any strange thing that might have happened in my family over the years; I remembered nothing.

    But I could not shake the feeling that there was something sinister going on.

   "Did you find the child?" A voice called from the other side of the forest.

     "I did find her" he called back then looked teasingly at me "she is on the other end , towards the direction of the lady scarlet"

    I exhaled.

   Bro wasn't going to ditch me after all. 

   *****

"Just further down this hill" Kyle panted.

    "Let's continue tomorrow," Philip paused to a halt. "It is not safe"

    "Why?" I asked him, removing the twigs that had intertwined with my now messy and damp hair.

   "They aren't the only ones who seek your head... Let's leave it at that"

   I shuddered and so did Paris. I stared at my sister, who was supposed to be my replica but had rebelled against the very concept ; her dyed black hair with coloured streaks proved the fact.

    Not that I blamed her though, It was refreshing to have your own identity- not to be compared to a literal clone of you.

   "What??" She noticed me staring.

   "Nothing," I assured.

    The fire burned brightly. Introducing and contorting shadows into fearful silhouettes. We sat round it, thankful for it's warmth in the harsh cold.

   By the looks of everyone's face, we were all comfortable with the loud silence we offered ourselves.

     Till the idiot broke it.

  "Yo Kari, bring the food and let's have lunch"

   "It's junk food genius" Paris glared at him, unhappy from being disturbed from her comforting silence.

     "Yeah, Yeah ... whatever hand over the grub sisi"

    Philip eyed him cautiously. "You speak very strangely"

    " I speak weirdly ?? Brady and Axe are gonna laugh their butt off when they hear you speak, pretty boy" he chortled.

I handed Philip and Karissa some Oreos.

Philip stared at it intently, mumbled something unintelligible and put it aside.

     I tossed a coke and an extra large Doritos to Kyle. He grabbed it in content and chugged the coke down in a few gulps. He then paused for a second, thinking thoughtfully.

   "Lemme show you guys a hack" he tore open his Doritos. "Hand me some water will you, Par?"

   He expertly heated some water, poured it into the bag of chips and shook it vigorously after he pounded the chips with a stone, crushing them.

   "Tada" he smiled like he had won am Oscar. "Have a taste"

   "Way to go dumdum, the most useless hack in history"  I snorted when I got to have a taste.

Philip looked as impressed as a slug.

  His 'hack' tasted like carrot juice mixed with expired pickle water.

   "Oh....my bad, Guess I poured too much water... Would you like me to make some more for-"

    "NO!" We all screamed simultaneously.

  "So, the folk dwelling Highpeaks are not human, they are some Kind of creatures and they seek all of you" Philip became serious.

      "We have to try to get out of here by this week, before sunset we have to leave Flower Dale at all costs," he continued grimly.  "Even I might not want to think of the outcome of such a tragedy"

   "Tomorrow, " he added. "We leave the cursed city."