Chapter thirteen

You know that feeling you get when someone jokes about something funny but they look all serious so you don't know how to react.

   Whether to laugh at the joke or to just act bored or both.

Well, I chose the only suitable, convenient option, I choose option three.

    We simultaneously burst into laughter after a second of looking serious.

   "It is not a joke Katrina" Phil snapped. " 'The other' is more real than you think!"

    "What show you been on , Weirder things?" I fell on my sister laughing , desperately gasping for air.

    "There's proof, I have proof. Stop laughing this isn't a joke.. I'm .. I'm legit serious.."

     "You too Kylie? Some kinda prank or something? Go on, Brother dearest, show is the proof"

    Kyle stared into my eyes like he was a hypnotist.

Okay, what was happening?

    "Malory Simmons"

     I couldn't breathe.

  Darkness.

Totally darkness.

I woke up in the car, it was parked near the woods; the kind that murders happen at.

   Philip stood over me "Are you okay?" He was genuinely concerned about me, something not common for him to do; This wasn't in his broody nature.

  I didn't listen.

He talked on and on but my mind couldn't multitask.

Instead memories, of my best friend Malory Simmons flood my mind like a tidal wave.

    How could I forget her?

She's never going to believe the story I'm going to tell her.

   "My best friend?"

    "What?"

     "Where are Pari and K?"

     "They seek an exit"

     "To where, from whom?"

      "From the faded."

****

    "It's been two months Kari"
He sighed, drawing his hair away from his face.

     Paris didn't believe him, she was having none of it. "That's crazy, insane!

Strangely I did believe him. Something right inside of me knew from the start that there was something very suspicious going on.

I had forgotten my best friend existed. Like she was wiped away from my mind.

Erased.  Eradicated. Cleared from my memories.

    Very recent memories. Memories I had only a few days ago becoming as hazy as centuries old.

   I understood three things immediately.

1. I had amnesia.

2. Highpeaks was a town outside time.

3. The whole town was something supernatural.

    "So four days was two months?" I gasped.

    "This doesn't make sense! This is.."

    "Supernatural?" Philip spoke for the first time since we started driving again.

  I held my breath.  "Is Aunt Rosé?..."

He looked at me sadly.

His pale face even paler than white paper. His hair melted into the winds as he sighed.

    "I.. I am sorry"

  My eyes were as wide as dollars  "You mean she's a vampire too?"

     "They aren't vampires."

    I frowned.  "What are they then?"

      "You would find out in ample time"

       "Bethany?"

       "You ask too many questions!" He was frustrated.

      "What about... Wh..what about you?"

      He smirked at me this time looking up at the moon. Why did some people have to look this good when they stood in the moon light?

    I just looked like hooty the owl when any light touched my face.

    "Oh, Shannon Kane... Be rest assured. I am just like you." He teased time.

  I half expected him to say he wasn't human, go justify hiss looks but he just proved today that God created me from a copy of Hooty.

    "So what are they?" I asked after a few minutes silence, when my brother searched desperately for a way out of town.

Silence.

      "You do not understand do you?" Philip sighed.

       "Understand what?"

       "There's no way out of here, not until you get past-"

      "I asked a question"

      More silence.

"Philip-"

   "I told you I did not know!"

    My brother shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  He glanced at Philip warningly.

   "Be careful how you talk to my  sister, pretty boy"

    "Then do not provoke me to tell her!"

      "Tell me what?"

       "Nothing of consequence" he spat out.

      We were suddenly hit by something. Or someone... A who.

     It sounded like voices- a mob , a crowd. A riot, a protest.

And it was coming closer and closer to the car. Banging at the trunk of our car.

I wasn't a fan of horror movies but I had watched enough to know that this wasn't going to be anything good.

    They sounded as if they were winds, spirit like voices coming from the wind and from the puzzled look on my family's face, we all made out one thing;

They must never be double-crossed.

___________________________

   Two updates in one day.
Just vote, comment later, just vote now
~Kara