Chapter six

I went back home with Bethany and Philip. The rest of my family stayed back for the after-party, some after party it was going to be!

    I was just tired of the whole thing and just wanted to collapse on my bed and have a nice, calm meltdown fest.

    Bethany probably noticed how quiet I was.

      "You seem deep in thought" a voice broke my reverie.

       "huh?" I asked unconscious of who I was responding to.

       "She asked why you were quiet ". Philip said.

       "Huh?" I was shocked "Are you talking to me, Phil?"

       "Philip!" He snapped staring at me in contempt.

       I smirked, happy I had gotten under his acne free skin.

      "Your brother, it is very dangerous, what he did" she said thoughtfully.

       "Bethany is right" Philip spoke again.

      "They do not like to be cheated."

    Cheated? How had my brother cheated anyone? And who the heck were they?

      "Come on in" I signaled for Bethany and Philip to enter the house.  

   Nobody was home and I could really use some company and besides, my meltdown fest could wait for another three hours.

    "What was the deal with his phone?" I asked Bethany as I kneaded the donut dough careful not to get any  stuck on my nails.

    They went quiet.

   "Guys?"

   "I will go and borrow some honey from The Clarks " Bethany excused herself.

    "Philip?"

    "Yes Katrina"

  I ignored him.

     "Why is this town .. like wierd?"

     "I do not understand what you mean"

      "Maybe I'll just leave like Kyle did"

      "You really have no idea what you are involved in" he said darkly.

    The donuts smelt good right from the frying pan, I waited for them to cool down and spread icing on them.

    "Here you go!" I handed Beth one. Chocolate icing. 

     "What is that?" She looked up at me like I had served her fried maggots.

     "Donut?"

      "I have not had one before" Philip's eyebrows furrowed.

     "You haven't eaten donuts before? No wonder you're so bitter" I gasped.

   Philip took a bite. He closed his eyes and chewed quickly and bravely took a second bite.

     "Not terrible"

     "Thanks" I smiled.

"You're welcome" a ghost of a smile flickered across his features.