Chapter fourteen

They say your life flashes before your eyes when you're dying.

   There wasn't much to see in my case anyways, except to remember the Oreos stashed under my bed;   
  Macy must have gotten to them by now... My poor cookies.

   "Kari? What's wrong with you.. you look like you're trying to hold a fart."

     "Seriously?!"

     "Can't any of you hear it?"

      "That is about  three thousand two hundred and eighty one point five feet away" I blurted out.

Philip frowned at me and I could swear that I heard him mutter something about running out of time.
    "Not you too" he whispered to himself.

"Wait what?"

"I did not speak" he dismissed.

     My siblings looked at me like I was on drugs.

    "Are you sure are you okay?"

    "How did you hear something a mile away? .. Kyle? We have to leave this minute."

    "What the heck dude?"

    "He's right... I hear noises, people are coming-" I warned.

    " You do know that you sound like a crummy psychic right now huh?"

     "Could you be for once, serious in your life?"

     "Yes mother!" He teased Paris.

     "So where are we going? You never told us-" said Paris.

    "We're looking for a way out.. we seek leeway."

__________________________

The angry mob was far worse than the noise they made. I gasped in absolute horror when I caught a glimpse of them.

    They were only three people. Two men and a woman. Both stood at a whooping eight feet , the tallest I had ever seen anybody get, their skin was pale and the bugs under their eyes proved that they had not had a minute rest.

The lady stood shorter than her guards. A  two feet taller than I was, but still Kyle's height.

    The woman adjusted her rags and stared straight into my soul.
Her wizened though young face broke into a grin; an in human grin.

"Te sustinui saecula, Katatrina Khane"

This lady was all shades of crazy. Why did she look at me like she expected me to answer her and why did I feel like I knew her, like I understood all she said.

  I knew her.

I just couldn't remember.

She had a smirk on her face, like the kind a singer has when he releases a diss track.

Mey eyes met Philip's, he paled. His face got paler if that was even possible.

The men behind her, both eight feet stared down at me. Suddenly I felt very small.

They sneered like they say their effect on my, I quickly plastered a fake- bold look on my face.

    Glancing at Kyle made me realize one thing; We really should have never left the car.

    "What the heck lady?" said kyle.

  She diverted her attention to him, acknowledging his presence finally.

    "Dear boy," she cooed.

     "Okay this is creepy as fu-"

     "Language, child!"

     "Heyy! Only my mom says that lady!"

     "Oh! Thy mother is here? Pray be quick Guards, thrust the fools into the dungeon"

     "Let them leave, they do not have prior knowledge of the incident"

     "Ne puerum defendas! Scelus cognoscunt!" She snapped.

    We were running, the three gorgon's on our tail. Philip had Paris on his back since she sprained her ankle; in spite of that he run like he was supported by Anime...Aenonei.... Amonei? Storm spirits!.. aenemoi.

     We eventually split. It was cut down to a gorgon chasing us each.

   I was out of breath.

Exhausted.

I screeched to a stop. Running this way brought back memories, a cloudy day.. running  through the woods foggy, but sunny at the same time.

    Laughter filling the air, my outfit; a purple-

My head began to throb.

   "If it was not for our heir apparent" The cloaked man smiled staring behind him like something was going to pop out again.

     "What do you want with me?"

      "Neither me"

      "You mean not you right?" I translated. His old Norse English was just as good as Philip's funny bone.

     "Insufferable child"  he clicked his tongue in disapproval like I was a kid throwing a tantrum.

    The first day we came to Highpeaks, the town's people looked content, angry, happy and depressed all in one passionate display of subtle dislike.

    I remembered the letters.

My parents discussion behind closed doors.

    "Is this about ancestry?"

     "Amusing lassie"

      "Then what does that crazy witch, deranged replica of Marilyn Monroe want with me?!"

   He looked at me with those eyes. Like I was a kid throwing a temper.  "Thine temper really might not but get you in dire calamity"

   "Who are you.. who is she?" I stalled.

   I was searching desperately for an escape. He looked amused at the thought.

     When be removed his cloak I gasped in shock. In front of my doubtful eyes stood Gabriel, the shopkeeper that had warned us about high peaks.