Chapter twelve

Cut to the horror movie music. The chainsaw killer at the window banged on it again and again.

    'Im going to die'

    "Open the window will you?" A voice came from downstairs. Seriously! What was it with me and window visitors? I honestly felt like Juliet right now.

     "Who's there?"

     "A serial killer who's going to take you to willy Wonka's chocolate factory"

   There was only one person who could come up with that.

    "Philip?" I tested.

     "Yes, it's prettyboy"

    "Kylie?"

    "The one and only- wait what?"

He entered the room drenched with rain. He looked like he hadn't slept or had anything to eat in days and he smelt of forest.

    I ran to him and hugged my idiot jerk brother.
He hugged me back, held me close.. whatever a brother does when he's trying to be good.

   "You missed me huh, princess?"

    "Shut it"

   He sighed and sat on his bed. "I don't know how I'm going to tell you...but I.. I'll try" He went on nervously.

    "Is this about Highpeaks?"

    I had so many questions for him. Where did he go? Why did he leave? Where has he been? Where was the van? Did he know what was going on?

  "I know you have a million questions by now" he began.

You read my mind!

"There's no time for that!" He said urgently once he glanced at his phone.

   "What's going on?"

    "I swear I'll explain everything to you. Later" my brother panicked. "We have to leave this place now!"

What the actual Quack?

  "Okay, I'll tell mom and dad... June should probably know too" I trailed off but he grabbed my arm firmly.

    "No"

     "Why?" I snapped.

     "I already told you, I'll explain later!" He shouted angrily too.

     "Now get in there" he gestured to the direction of the kitchen "And get as much food as you can, stuff it in your bra if you have to"

   Yep! My brother's braincells are still dead alright. He passed the test, he was my brother. Nobody on the planet could be that stupid.

   "Fine Dipshit" I muttered.

I stuffed a pack of doctor pepper, cans of freeway cola and a dozen Oreo bars into my small duffle bag.

   I opened the kitchen cabinet for more food. There was enough food to feed the whole high peaks in there.

    I wondered why Mom had that much food. She wasn't really a big fan of cooking. So why the stack?

    I shrugged and continued pulling my Mr grinch' stuffing water bottles, diet cokes, fruit hoops, the potato crisps we bought from the gas station and some homemade brownies.

   "This what you mean?" I threw a pack of gummies to him.

    "Well, well, well....looks like someone got her brain to work- Ow!"
I hit him on the head with my bunny slipper.
   We heard some noises coming from the kitchen- June.

    "Oh God!..they can't know I'm here Kari!"

    "Why ca-"

     "I said I'll explain later K!"

____ ____ _____ ___ _ _ _ ____ ____ ___

    Life.

It could take years to build the perfect kind but seconds to crush it all.

Dominos.

Life is a stack of dominos. When one crushed, the whole thing crushes to the ground.

  The joyride was fun. Once you count being forced into a car, a greasy hand on your hand, your twin being shoved into the car right after you were.

It was purely fun!

"What going on Ethan?" Paris narrowed her eyes.

   Being my polar opposite and the deep sleeper she was, she was mad at being woken up from a nap.

   "I don't know how to tell you guys" he sighed.

    "What? Dad's in the mafia?"

      "No"

     "You're a vampire?" She laughed.

     "You really should take the supernatural seriously" a voice said from the trunk of the car.

    "Philip,?" Paris barked.  "What the heck! What's Pretty boy doing here?"

   Was I the only one who didn't call him pretty boy?

    Our family's messed up.

"What are you doing here and ETHAN FOR THE LAST TIME WHAT IS GOING IN!"

    "You're not going to like what you're gonna hear" my brother sighed.

  "Is this about Highpeaks?"

"Ethan Kyle! What is-"

   "Some people are after us" he started. "Some really bad people."

    What the actual Quack?

"Don't explain to us like we're freaking five year old! What's going on and I want the truth!"
Paris was too agitated for her own good.

     "The mafia?" I asked.

      "What is a mafia?" Philip looked at us confused.

      "Mom and Dad,"

      Kyle looked nervously at me, strapped to the backseat with my sister.

     "Well?"

     "This is about Highpeaks, since we came here... It's been wierd and...and ," his leg automatically responded to his frustration by speeding.

    "All," he meet Philip's cautious eyes.
"Most of the people in Highpeaks are not human."