1 « Cruel Summer »

Blue and red lights flashed by the buildings as sirens blared through the streets. Police cruisers were speeding past the traffic in a hurry, determined to catch the white van running away from them. The van turned a corner, narrowly missing a pedestrian, and its backdoors flung open.

Two men dressed in ski masks were standing in the van's hull, duffel bags most of which were filled with freshly stolen bundles of cash lying around them. "They're still on us!" one of the men shouted and reached into one of the bags. He grabbed one of the many identical devices within it, and handed it over to his companion. The other man pressed something on its side, causing the device to start sizzling and threw it out at the pursuing vehicles. "This will slow 'em down."

Flames erupted on the street as the bomb struck the ground. The police cruisers closest to the explosion swerved to the side, some crashing into trash cans along the sidewalks while others struck each other.

Crouched atop a nearby apartment building, a certain blue creature was keenly following the situation developing below him. Smiling to himself, he stood up as the vehicles passed by him and continued onwards along the street. He began stretching, getting himself ready for some action. As he was charging up his energy, he said, "They're right under me. You should seriously come here, it's such a great view."

"Yeah, of a street," the girl replied, rolling her eyes. She was standing behind him, near the middle of the roof and as far away from the edge as she could. There was no way she would be going anywhere near it. Just the thought of the street far below her made her shiver. "I'm not coming to the edge, Sonic."

The hedgehog grabbed a box from the roof, opening it to reveal a chili dog. He took a sniff of it, and bit right into the steaming hot snack. With his mouth full, he glanced over to the girl saying, "Your loss, Y/N."

The girl would have rolled her eyes again, had she not been told that she was doing it too much these days. Instead she just opted to say, "I'm not missing anything... except for sleep. But it's not like that matters."

Sonic vanished from the edge and instead appeared right beside her. "You ready?" he asked, but the time he gave her to reply was next to none. Before she had even processed the simple two-word question, she found herself swept away from the ground and scooped up in the hedgehog's arms.

"I wasn't ready!" she screamed as Sonic ran to the edge of the roof and jumped.

The pair were taken over by gravity, falling freely towards the busy streets below. During this forever feeling moment, Y/N was holding onto Sonic for her dear life, wishing that she would soon find herself safely on the ground again. Before they could hit the ground, Sonic placed his feet against the wall and ran the rest of the way down, softening their landing.

Once on the busy street, Sonic began zigzagging between the vehicles. "Watch out! Excuse me! Pardon me! Coming through!" he shouted, trying his best to avoid running into the cars. It wasn't a long journey he had to take among the traffic, as soon he found himself running alongside the very van he was after.

"Hold on," Sonic told Y/N who was already holding onto him as tightly as she could. He jumped at the van, and swiftly opened its door. Inside, one of the robbers watched confused as the door swung open.

"Good evening!" Sonic greeted the baffled man. Not wasting a second, he jumped and threw Y/N into the cabin. She yelped as she flew in, and in the process managed to kick the crook sitting by the door, knocking him out and sending him tumbling on the floor. She landed on the seat, paralyzed by the experience, as beside her the driver stared at her jaw wide open.

Sonic jumped in after her, grabbing a hold of the ceiling. Swinging at the driver, he kicked the man off his seat and at the driver side door which flung open. Screaming, the driver held onto the door as he dangled after the vehicle. Sonic hopped on the driver's seat, taking the wheel. "Better buckle up!" he said as he turned the vehicle onto another street.