17 « Veils »

The western side of Green Hills was heavily guarded by agents dressed in dark uniforms bearing three simple letters: G.U.N.. Almost immediately after the defeat of Robotnik, additional forces had flocked into the town and taken control of the situation. Press had been turned away, local newspapers had been paid to keep quiet about the situation — though, a certain school newspaper had made a publication on the following week's issue that would later lead to the newspaper club getting shut down — and all in all, everything that had occurred in the town was swiped under the rug, as it had been on the occasions before that day. Much to the town's luck, the government had promised to pay for the damages, and thus the Main Street of Green Hills would be back in no time.

As it currently stood, the wreck site was being thoroughly investigated. While most of the agents were there under the impression that their job was to simply destroy whatever there was left of the mech and make sure it would not fall into wrong hands, certain teams were on a different mission, instead scouring the debris for survivors, or any signs of the man who had caused the mess in the first place. So far, in the days following the incident, not a single soul had turned up, and had someone survived the crash, by now they would have passed from dehydration, leaving the possibility of someone still being alive rather slim.

The remains of what had once been the cockpit of Robotnik's mech were currently being taken apart by a group of agents. While most of the agents worked in groups of two or three, there was one working on the scrap all alone. No one seemed to care, everyone too busy with their own work, and thus the uniformed man was able to go undetected in his search.

He moved carefully, avoiding the sharp edges and sparking wires. Amongst all the rubble, his eyes caught the sight of something, and he immediately moved closer. He moved the crushed medical chair to the side, and was greeted with a robotic arm, and shards of glass. Among the glass lay a single vial, perfectly survived from the crash. Taking a glance around, he knelt down and grabbed it, checking it for leaks, but there were none. The vial disappeared into his pocket, and he strolled away, not looking behind.

***

On a sunny afternoon at the baseball field of Green Hills, Y/N Wachowski was quietly humming to herself on the bleachers. Beside her, a lone daisy had sprouted from between the benches and was now swaying in the warm summer breeze. Every few moments, the white flower would lightly brush her leg and tickle the stitches in her ankle.

The gash on her leg had been much worse than she had initially thought. The doctor at the clinic had told her she was lucky she hadn't passed out due to the amount of blood she had lost, and that had the wound stayed open longer it would have likely gotten infected. But, it would seem everything had gone fine and all she now had to endure were some irritation on her skin, and to avoid stressing her leg.

As much as the reason for the stitches had hurt, their aftermath had however created a rather delightful memory. When she had left the clinic after her checkup, she was greeted by Sonic along with Tails and Knuckles. While Sonic and Tails understood her complaints about not being able to walk properly and being told to take it easy, Knuckles somewhat mistook her comments. Without a warning, the echidna had lifted her up in order to carry her back home. Afterwards he had been rather flustered, his muzzle matching the rest of his fur the whole way home. And if Y/N's eyes didn't betray him, Sonic had in turn changed from blue to green the moment Knuckles had lifted her up with one arm.

Back home, the topic of the house's condition had been a major part of conversation. It had taken some explaining to do how the living room had been wrecked, but all in all it was a matter that was mostly dealt with. As it currently stood, the house was being fixed with the living room closed behind a tarp. It was lucky it was summer and not winter.