7 « Exist »

The freezing wind stung Y/N's face as she pushed herself forward in the blizzard. Her view was obscured by the heavy snowfall, which made what normally must have been awful somehow even worse. Even with the coat and pants she still felt frozen. Now that she really was in the cold wilderness of Siberia, she was re-evaluating the choices she had earlier made. As much as she disliked the idea of not knowing where Sonic was and what was going on with him, under the current circumstances the thought of chilling in a five-star resort in Hawaii didn't seem half bad. But as tempting as the warmth and beauty of the islands was, there was no way she would be leaving Sonic alone —well, almost alone; Tails was now there too— in the frozen wasteland.

Walking before her and paving the way for the group was Sonic. The heavy snowfall had turned him white as the flakes clung onto his fur. So far during their journey in search of the compass, they had encountered nothing but snow, some trees, snowfall and more and more snow. There were also some big rocks some time ago. Exactly how far had they got along on their quest was a mystery as good as the location of the compass. Their surroundings were constantly nearly identical and it didn't help that the blizzard hid everything even slightly further away from them. Even now, everywhere around them was nothing but more snow, a few trees and the darkness of the night.

As much as Sonic didn't want to have to admit that he had no idea where they were going, there was not much else he could do. "I absolutely cannot find my way!" he finally shouted. "We are completely, totally, unequivocally lost."

"Well why did we have to come here in the middle of a storm?" demanded Y/N.

Tails looked at his device which he was now using to pinpoint their location. While it was doing that, it also tried to locate the mountain that had been drawn into Sonic's map. However, the distances kept changing as their location kept jumping from one side of the area to the other. Realizing there was no way to deduce what any of it meant, he said, "Sonic! In this weather there's no way we're gonna get any readings on this thing."

Sonic glanced at him and over to Y/N. They had already journeyed all the way here and chances were that Robotnik was still in Green Hills looking for them. Turning to look the way they had been heading, he squinted his eyes as he tried to see through the blizzard obscuring the view. Just barely through all the snow flying around he could see the faint glow of light.

"Should we go back?" Tails asked.

"No, no, no, no. There's a light up ahead," Sonic replied and pointed into the distance. Both Tails and Y/N squinted and looked there to see what he meant. They could make out the faintest of golden glows somewhere beyond the snowstorm. "Maybe we can take shelter in there," the hedgehog suggested and continued on forward.

The fox looked after Sonic before turning to the girl standing beside him. "Is this really a good idea?" he asked her.

Y/N looked at the fox, not sure what to tell him. Surely it couldn't have been that great of an idea, but it was the only one they had. There wasn't that much that could make the situation worse, right? With that in mind, she began following Sonic and said, "Beats staying here."

With Sonic now much closer to the source of the light, he could see that it was coming from multiple points. Walking even closer, he came to realize that it was pouring out the windows of a rather large building that was just sitting in the middle of the snow. Now observing the place and its surroundings, he took notice of a sledge that had been left just outside it. Sitting on the seat were a pair of jackets as well as some other clothing items. He smirked, "Ah, perfect."

Tails walked closer to the hedgehog and glanced at the building. "Are you sure about this? We don't know who's inside," he said to him.

Sonic immediately shrugged Tails' worries off by saying, "Don't worry. On Earth people are very welcoming. And love taking complete strangers into their homes.