11 « Lover »

The agent escorting Tom had a firm grip on him as the group was led through the labyrinth of hallways beneath the hotel. Behind him were Sonic and Tails, both in their tiny little crates with agents pushing each. Lastly there was Y/N. She was still unconscious as she was carried through the corridors and toward their destination.

Tom kept taking glances behind him, hoping that either Y/N or Sonic—or in this case he would even take the total stranger that was Tails—would wake up. And maybe he was in luck, because as they rounded another corner, the hedgehog shifted.

"Sonic!" Tom called out to the boy immediately.

His eyes fluttered open, his surroundings spinning. He hazily took hold of the bars holding him in, and tried to sit up, only for him to fall back on the floor.

"Sonic, you alright?" asked Tom.

Sonic lay in the cage, taking a second for his world to still. "Woozy," he breathed out, loud enough for Tom to hear, and then finally sat up. It took him a second to understand the cage he was in, and then another to realize there was a second one being hauled behind him. As he recognized the fox lying inside, a pang of worry and guilt shot through him. "Tails!" he shouted, trying to get a closer look at his friend. But the fox was as he had been ever since Robotnik had fired those missiles. Completely motionless.

The group had come to a stop, as one of the agents opened a door and then led Tom inside a small storage room.

"Hey, come on, you can't just leave us in here!" said Sonic as his cage was pushed into the room. "My friend is hurt. He needs a doctor. A vet. Anyone!" he continued pleading but no one cared. He turned back to his friend, "Tails, you gotta wake up buddy. Please wake up."

The storage was made of a set of chainlink cages, to one of which Tom's handcuffs were attached to ensure he wouldn't get out. The cages with Sonic and Tails were placed near him on the ground, and lastly, in walked the agent carrying Y/N.

It was only now that Sonic saw her. He grabbed the side of his cage as the agent set the girl down on the floor. "Y/N?" he asked and turned to the agent. "What did you do to her?" The man didn't spare the hedgehog a glance as he left the room. "What did you do to her?" he shouted after him. As the door slammed shut, Sonic turned to the girl who lay still on the floor. "What happened to her?"

Tom tried fiddling with the handcuffs that were keeping him in place but couldn't open them. He sighed as he admitted his defeat and glanced at Sonic. He wasn't sure if Sonic knew that tasers cannot knock a person out and because of that chose to keep the information to himself. There was no reason to increase Sonic's worry right now. "They tased her."

"Why would they do that?" the hedgehog asked and turned back to her.

"She tried to stop them from capturing you," Tom replied.

A pang of guilt bit through Sonic. There were two people in that room who now both lay unconscious, and it was all his fault. The guilty expression on his face as he eyed Y/N and Tails didn't go unnoticed by Tom.

"It's not your fault," he said, earning Sonic's attention. "If anything, it's mine. I should've protected her when I had the chance. And I should've been there for you too."

The man shared the guilty look the hedgehog had, but Sonic couldn't have disagreed with it more. Sonic had kept Tom in the dark up until the moment he was almost dead and buried. Even then only requesting his help at the last possible moment. He slumped down in the small cage, his gaze falling to the floor.

"You need to tell me what's going on," said Tom. "You said Robotnik is after a 'magic emerald'?"

Sonic sighed. There was no way out of the situation so there was no reason for him to not fill Tom in. And so he explained everything that had happened, from Robotnik's return and team up with Knuckles, to how Tails had saved him and how Longclaw had sent Sonic to Earth to find the Master Emerald which Robotnik was now after. One thing he did omit from the story was the mention of Y/N. There was no reason to get her into trouble, especially when she hadn't caused any. Everything was his own fault.