15 « Attack on Titan »

Green Hill's town center was in utter chaos. Fiery remains of drones were smoking on the trashed streets as buildings destroyed smoldered in rubble. People yet to make their escape were pouring out the buildings and to the streets, screaming as they saw the titan robot looming over their home. In the middle of the crowds were Tom and Maddie.

Since the moment the mech had appeared, and Y/N been taken —and Sonic had made his appearance— the two had been instructing terrified citizens away from the battle and toward safety. While the two took great responsibility in helping the townspeople, there was an ever growing urgency in helping their daughter. The ground shook as the mech took steps away from the town center in the near distance, and every step it took meant she was further away from their reach. To make matters worse was the battle between Robotnik, Sonic and his friends that had done nothing in terms of bringing this attack to an end.

As the streets began to clear, only a handful of people still left in sight, a car drove down the street and into town. Both Tom and Maddie began waving their arms, yelling for the driver to stop, and they promptly did so, right before the couple. The two ran over to the driver's side, noticing that the vehicle had lost its door.

"Tom what the heck happened here?" asked the driver, looking around in utter confusion.

Tom watched the shape of the mech move further into the woods as it shot lasers into the trees. Around him, military equipment left behind from G.U.N. was lying around on the ground, the smoky remains of drones littering everything. There wasn't a sane way to explain the situation, so he opted not to do so. He looked at Maddie who in return looked at him. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

There was the faintest glimmer of a smile, not a happy one, but one of determination on his wife's face as she nodded. "Let's go get our kids."

They turned to the car immediately saying, "We need your truck!"

Further away from the town, Sonic was running around the forest. By now, he had led the mech quite aways from the town, meaning that if he were to attack here, at least everyone in Green Hills would be safe. His plan of working as a distraction was working well, at least so far. Every few turns, he would climb up into a tree just to make sure Robotnik kept his attention on him. To add to that, he would shout insults directed at the doctor to annoy him even more. This was partially to stay in the spotlight while also giving him an opportunity to tell the man how he felt about him. Still, even as fast and energetic as Sonic was, the constant running, climbing and taunting began to grow more tiresome. The hedgehog could only hope that Tails and Knuckles would reach the doctor soon, and use the opportunity to save Y/N and disarm Robotnik.

Nearly the whole time that Robotnik had chased after Sonic, he had been repeating the phrase, "Coming, getting." However, unlike Sonic who wasn't showing signs of getting tired —even though he was— the doctor clearly was. "Whew!" he exhaled as he leaned over and supported himself by leaning on his legs.

As Robotnik was taking his breather, Sonic climbed yet another tree. Once at the top, he waved at the mech, gaining the doctor's attention. "Yoo-hoo!" he shouted. "So what's the plan here? You gonna build a big robot house? Get yourself a big robot wife?"

"I'm going to enslave humanity and force them to service my machines," the doctor answered. "First, Green Hills. Then the universe. Then the multiverse. Then who knows? Maybe that'll be enough," he explained using his hands to make emphasis on the points. "Full disclosure. You won't be there."

The mech's eyes began emitting a bright green glow. From each one, a laser beam was shot straight at the hedgehog. With only a second to reach, Sonic jumped off the tree which was hit by the blasts. Behind him, the tree erupted in flames. Falling to the ground he quickly stood up and began running. A second blast hit the ground where he had just a second ago stood on. Zigzagging between the trees, Sonic tried to confuse the doctor, but still despite this a shot landed before him. The explosion threw the hedgehog back. Hitting a trunk, the hedgehog groaned and glanced at the enormous robot behind him. "Eye lasers? Really?" he asked as he got up. On the run again, he narrowly dodged yet another blast, and then another.