5 « Sparks Fly »

Sonic hopped on the couch, his popcorn bowl nearly spilling as he sunk into the cushions. He reached for the remote, ready to start watching something as Ozzy joined him on the sofa. Switching around the channels, he scooped a mouthful of popcorn for himself before throwing a piece to the golden retriever, who quickly scrunched it down.

"Alright Ozzie. It's movie night at casa de Sonic and it's your turn to pick. But I am not watching Snow Dogs again. That movie is the wooorst," he said, harmonizing the final word.

In the midst of Sonic's speech, the lights dimmed and left the house in darkness. The hedgehog looked up in surprise. The dim amber of the streetlights peering through the window brought some light to the unlit room. Sonic's ears perked as he listened. It was silent. Not even the fridge was making its usual humming noise. The only noise was that of the clock ticking away the time.

"Ohoho, blackout!" Sonic cheered and sped off elsewhere. He quickly returned to the couch, hiding partially under a blanket with a flashlight pointed at his face. Pretending to be a howling ghost, he said, "Ozziee!" —to the dog spookily as he could muster. The dog winced and got off the couch, running away from the room. "Oh, sorry, buddy. Everything is okay," Sonic called out after him, but he was already gone from the room.

The television flashed on, its screen filled with glitching noise as earsplitting static rang from the speakers. Sonic flinched back, the blanket falling off his shoulders as he stared at the TV wide eyed. The static continued glitching, creating bending shapes that momentarily would almost form the outline of a person. Sonic gulped, his hairs raising as he tried to ignore the shapes contorting into a vague image of a malicious grin. It wasn't possible for something like that to happen. Ghosts weren't real. This was just his mind playing tricks on him because of the sudden and unusual situation.

He put down the remote and got off the couch, taking glances around the room as he walked through it and towards the even darker hallway. "Uhh excuse me we did not order a poltergeist."

A rumble echoed from outside, a flash suddenly illuminating the house. Sonic stopped as he looked at the window, confusion taking over him. There wasn't supposed to be a storm that day.

More light suddenly flashed in the hallway, this time from within the house. The ceiling lamp was flickering on and off, dimming monetarily only for its blinking to continue again a moment later.

Sonic felt his stomach tightening, and stopped in the middle of the hallway. A normal blackout would just cut away the electricity. Not make it act up.

Another flash came from outside, the rumble that followed it rattling the window as the lamp slowly swung from side to side.

His gaze slowly turned to the window as he realized something even odder. The window was dry. He listened, even more carefully than before.

No rain.

A thump from above darted his eyes up. The creak that followed it made him flinch. His eyes followed the ceiling and where he presumed the noises to be coming from. His instincts were trying to tell him to hide, his heart pounding faster as the steps moved around, but his curiosity—or dread—kept him still, unable to move anything other than his eyes.

White light flashed behind him as another roar rattled the house, drowning the quiet thuds from above.

Sonic stood still, holding his breath as he focused on listening. It was silent again. The shadows danced as the flickering light swayed.

"Sonic?"

The boy shrieked as nearly jumped out of his skin. Springing around to face the staircase and his heart pounding like it was trying to escape his chest, he saw the speaker at the top of the flight, illuminated momentarily by the flashing light.