12 « Invaders »

Run. Run. Run!

That's all Sonic could do as he tried to keep himself above the surface. The ocean was horrifying. It was not only made of his worst enemy —normally enemy #2, but in this particular scenario the order had flipped— but it was also the only region of Earth not fully explored. Whatever may lay in the depths which the sun never had touched was a thought that now creeped into his mind. But creatures of eldritch origin hiding within the shadows only gave him more fuel, boosting his dash even more.

The further he got, the larger were the waves. At first they were just simply more aggressive, but before he knew it walls of water were towering before him. The mountainous waves seemed like a task impossible, especially with how long he had already been running. His feet were starting to hurt from the continuous hard kicks he had to take in order to not drown. His one destination was near invisible to him with his only source of direction, the beacon, just barely peeking over the crest of the waves. Sonic could have sworn that if the light had a form, it would have been grinning madly and taunting him. But just like the terrifying darkness below him, the jeers only riled him further. Clenching his fists in concentration, he continued kicking forward over the waves.

In the midst of all that running, Sonic's mind was racing and playing the scene from earlier on a loop.

She had kissed him. Actually kissed him! Not just on the cheek like she so very often did (and as he did whenever he got the required courage) but this had been different. There was always a fluttering whenever that happened, but with this kiss it had taken over his entire body and in the moment he could have sworn he was levitating to the heavens. Even now that sense of almost floating in the sky was riding through him.

Sonic conquered the first waves with ease, navigating over them like he did across the mountainous forests at his home. What awaited after them was a wave somehow even taller. He ran to its crest, and his feet lifted off the surface. Lighting cracked the sky as Sonic soared over the great wave. The jump gave his feet a moment of rest, and also a moment to reflect what he had just done. His eyes widened as the colossal wall of water was closer and closer. Gritting his teeth, he prepared for the impact, and as he was about to hit the water, kicked.

He flew forward, his feet just barely touching the surface, and before he knew it he was looking straight down into the abyss. The water splashed as he planted down. To his luck, the ocean didn't get to claim her just yet, as he bounced forward and on his second try, which included a frantic set of kicking, managed to bring himself back to balance, and continue running along the surface.

Dashing along the mountain range made of water, he thought the worst had been passed. He couldn't have been more wrong. In his path grew a wave that soon towered over him, hiding even the last remnants of the beam behind it. It was no longer the light that mocked him, but the ocean with this colossal show of power. Before he knew it, he was running along its side in a near parallel line toward the sky. It was during this task that his kicks began to grow weaker. A splash of water struck his face, just momentarily blinding him, and the tip of his shoe broke through the surface. Sonic tried brushing it off as just a result from the water that had struck him, but soon after his whole foot sunk, and as more water splashed against him, he understood that it wasn't just the wave growing stronger, but him really sinking into it.

The water crashed against him, burying him, and swallowing him down into the depths.

***

Y/N entered the hotel room in a hurry. She opened her suitcase, rummaging through it and throwing nearly all of its contents around the room. She just needed some dry clothes. Dry clothes that would be comfortable to run in. Lucky for her, she had packed several pairs of shorts so there was something from which to pick, only she didn't so much as pick anything but just grab the pair closest to her. Same with her shirt.