13 « Away »

The shockwave threw both Sonic and Knuckles on the floor. Bolts of pure energy radiated from the Emerald, the chamber turning green in its overwhelming glow. Robotnik had his hands wrapped around the Emerald, and he lifted it off its place.

"Chaos is power!" his voice echoed around the space.

Y/N was lying on the floor beside the doctor, having been thrown there by the sudden shockwave. Squinting her eyes to see through the glow, she saw as the power beamed into Robotnik. Bolts like those around Sonic when he used his powers were now emitting from the madman, his eyes shining green in the process. She could have sworn she saw him phasing in and out of existence with only some of him there, and then there was a blinding flash..

The ground rumbled, and the altar —now empty— burst into pieces. Chunks of stone were sent flying into the air. Then the ceiling began caving in and masses of stone were dropping on the floor. Cracks appeared on the walls, and as they grew wider, water began to pour through them. It only took a few seconds for the walls to start tumbling down as a whole. The whole place was falling into ruin; without the Emerald the ocean was swallowing it back into the depths.

In the middle of it all, Sonic looked around in panic. "Y/N!" he shouted, and ran to the remains of the altar. He had seen it get blown, but had missed where it had thrown the girl. He shouted her name over and over again as he ran around the debris which quickly began to fall under water. As larger chunks of the rubble were disappearing beneath the surface, the looming worry that she might have been stuck somewhere under there began drowning him. "Y/N!"

There never came an answer.

The walls yet to cave in were breaking at a rapid rate as the temple was succumbing to the ocean. Last of the statues gave in and disappeared into the depths, sending waves of water crashing around the deepening pool. The chamber was overtaken by waterfalls as pieces of the ceiling fell down in chunks.

Despite his absolute hatred for water, Sonic couldn't let the girl be left there. He filled his lungs with as much air as he could, and jumped into the rising depths. The water was clear, but with the sky partly blocked by what remained of the ceiling and the water sloshing rapidly, his view was awfully limited.

He scanned the area around the altar, searching through the rubble. He even went as far as to try and move a chunk of the stairs, but found that impossible. As he was struggling with the rubble, the passing beam of light lit something by a fallen pillar that caught his attention, and he immediately stopped what he was doing. Taking off toward its direction, he tried his best to swim as Y/N had taught him —or at least she had tried to— last summer. It wasn't effortless, far from it, but he made it to the pillar.

Lying with half his body beneath it was Knuckles. His eyes were closed, mouth tightly held shut. Sonic looked back to the altar, a wave of confliction passing over him and for a second he hesitated. He was looking for Y/N. He should find her. Why should he help Knuckles? The echidna had done nothing but made his life harder, not to mention it was his family that had ruined Sonic's life in the first place. But as he thought of leaving the creature alone, he couldn't find himself doing it. He remembered what Knuckles had told him, that moment they had almost connected on that snowclad mountain. Had he had the ability to sigh, he would have done so.

He firmly set his feet against the ground, and started pushing the pillar. Grunting, he tried to move the massive piece of stone and found himself losing air. In what he could only explain as the universe's way of telling him he was doing the right thing, a bubble of air just so happened to pass by him. He took that final offering, inhaling that final gasp, and tried again. For his second try, he turned around. He placed his hands and back against the pillar, and pushed with his legs. This time it moved more, but not enough.