14 « Storm »

Over 3,000 miles away from Green Hills, a red biplane was flying over the Pacific Ocean. While Tails was piloting it, on its port side was Sonic, standing atop the wing and holding onto the struts for support. Similarly, on the starboard side was Knuckles.

Having gotten on the plane only moments ago, Sonic had caught Tails up in their current predicament. After that the conversation had turned to Knuckles whom they believed might know something about Robotnik's plans. And as it would turn out, it gave them a very likely lead, that being that the doctor had an accomplice back in Green Hills. Now, the three were heading towards the town, but with thousands miles between them, time wasn't on their side.

"We'll never get there in time!" said Tails.

"Why'd I have to go and lose all my rings?" Sonic grumbled under his breath.

"Would this be of help?" asked Knuckles. Both Tails and Sonic turned to him, and the latter's gaze lit up.

"Yes! That would help tremendously!" shouted Sonic as he saw the necklace in Knuckles' grasp.

Knuckles threw the necklace over to Sonic who barely caught it from the air. He glanced the echidna's way, slightly surprised, and opened the lock. He slid the ring off the chain, and threw the necklace to Tails for safekeeping. For a moment, he stared at the ring between his fingers and muttered. "I'm sorry, Y/N, but if I won't save you we'll never get to travel anywhere." With that, he threw the ring before the airplane.

The golden portal opened to be just large enough for the plane to pass through. Crossing from Hawaii and over to Montana, the group found themselves flying above the forestry mountains of Green Hills. Waiting them in the middle of the town was a sight none of them had expected.

Nearly the entire town was covered in a massive, dark, swirling cloud. Around it, green energy bolts kept flashing. At the center of the smoke was a monstrous tornado-like cloud that strangely behaved like one, only it was much slower. Pieces of the town were floating in the air and being pulled inside the cloud. Strangely, the tornado only captured anything made out of metal, but left everything other than that alone.

The trio in the airplane looked at one another, the thought on everyone's minds the same. At the center of it all would be the Emerald.

Sonic thought of everything he had come to learn of the Emerald. Robotnik now had a power unlike anything, and they knew nothing of how to stop it. "If that thing really turns thoughts into power, we are in big trouble. Robotnik has a lot of bad thoughts," he said.

Tails leaned closer to him. With a quieter voice he said, "Hey, Sonic, are you sure it was a good idea bringing you-know-who aboard?" Both Sonic and Tails looked at Knuckles, before turning to one another again.

"Knuckles isn't really a bad guy. He's just a little mixed up," Sonic told Tails.

"I am not mixed up!" the echidna said, glaring at the two. He returned his attention to the storm they were heading toward and continued, "I have steely focus. And I'm complex. And that's a lot for some people."

Tails nervously laughed, "Hope you're not still mad I hit you with that car."

"Pfft," the echidna scoffed. "I was completely uninjured. And my revenge will come when you least expect it, fox." Sonic and Tails glanced at one another, with the latter gulping nervously.

Above the town, the storm was growing more aggressive. Lightning bolts flashed here and there, until suddenly, the smoke began to clear. It was then that Sonic noticed that the storm had stopped pulling in items from around the town.

"It's slowing down," he said.

As more and more of the black smoke vanished, Sonic's eyes widened. He could now see what the storm had been for and why it had pulled items closer to it. It was right in the heart of the storm and it was huge. Standing right on the edge of Green Hills was a robot, larger than any of the buildings in the town.