6 « Everywhere »

Waves were washing the edge of the beach, their sloshes filling the silence of the night. Y/N thumped against the coast, the sand making a soft landing pad for her body as she went rolling and then stopping at the edge of the water. Despite her rolling having come to a quick stop, her heart was still insistent on doing flips as if it was performing an acrobatics show within the confines of her chest. Otherwise her chest felt nearly hollow, and in order to fill it she kept inhaling rough breaths over and over again.

In the corner of her eye, she could see as the golden glow that had brought her there dimmed, and then vanished. The empty beach gleamed white in the light of the full moon, its shatters sparkling in the rippling ocean.

It was as if her brain had been left in the car where she had only moments ago sat. Then she had been pushed, flown, fell, and rolled. Now she could only stare at the cloudless sky as the last few moments kept ricocheting through her brain and clouting her senses. The moment repeated over and over again, all the while her breaths were slowly getting steadier and her heart returning to near normal.

She had no idea how long she had just lain there on the beach when she finally blinked back to her senses, huffed, and began to push herself up. Her eyebrows scrunched together and teeth ground together as she got to her feet, and if her heart had calmed, it was now getting ready to drum away an encore.

Her hand had found its way to her necklace before she had even realized the thought, and she glared at the ring on her palm. The seething feeling that Y/N could not quite label was struck by another unidentified emotion as she stared at the golden object glimmering in the moonlight. After a short moment, she scoffed, shutting her palm and gripping the ring so tightly it was bound to leave a mark on her skin.

She sighed out a breath, and let the necklace fall back in its place. Her gaze turned to the hotel looming over the trees, and she began marching her way over to it.

***

Sonic, finding himself in that rather unusual circumstance, had brought himself and Tails to the only place in town where he knew he could get help. Hiding in a bush by the side of the road, the pair observed the house and the man working on his bike in the garage.

Tails' eyes went wide as he watched the man try and operate a wrench. He could immediately tell the man was using the tool in the wrong direction, and not long after shrieking in pain as his skin got caught in it. As the man muttered something under his breath and walked away, the fox turned to the hedgehog, worry gleaming in his eyes. "Uhh, this man does not seem familiar with basic mechanical operation," Tails said.

"Oh Wade?" Sonic glanced at him. "Don't underestimate him."

Tails gave him an unconvinced look and the two turned back to the garage where Wade was again trying to work on the bike. Trying to turn the pedals with his hand, it immediately dislodged from its place, and before he had the chance to do anything else, so did the wheels. Wade scowled as the wheels rolled around the garage and the bike fell over.

Sonic turned back to Tails who looked at him doubtfully. "Don't overestimate him either," the hedgehog said.

Wade sighed as he looked at the pieces that had seconds ago almost been a rideable bike. "Try not to cry. Pick it up and start... again," he muttered and threw the wrench on the ground.

Behind him, Sonic jumped out of his hiding spot and walked over to the garage. "Hey Wade. You alright over there?"

The man quickly got up from the ground and turned to the hedgehog, surprise visible on his face. "Hey. Yeah. You know I'm uhh, I'm just fixing up the old bike-arooni." Taking a glance at the bike he laughed and explained, "Yeah I thought maybe I could get back in shape. Shed a few lbs. You know?" The smile from his face vanished as he glanced over to his yard and added, "Plus someone did steal a police car. So..."