2 « Complete Mess »

The horizon gleamed golden as shadows cast by the towering mountains blanketed the small town where people were just waking up and getting ready for work. Like nearly every morning, the hood of a police car was peeking from behind the town's welcome sign along Route 9. Leaning out of the vehicle and holding a speed gun was the town's second police officer, Wade Whipple. For him the weekend was to be more than exciting as he would get to act in the role of the town's sheriff while the real deal was away. Unlike Tom Wachowski, he was gladly sitting by the road and clocking turtles in the mornings.

As he concentrated on getting the speed of yet another turtle gradually making its way over the road, a blur of blue dashed past his car. "Morning Wade!" Sonic shouted as the aforementioned officer was hit with a blast of wind.

The radar gun flashed an error message as Wade looked after the speed devil. "Morning Sonic!" he shouted to the hedgehog, not like he would hear him as he was long gone from his earshot.

Sonic had left the road and into the woods, winding between the trees as he sprinted to the tallest mountain peak surrounding the town. Reaching the bare top, he laughed as he watched the citizens leaving their houses and cars filling the streets.

"Good morning Green Hills!"

He ran down the mountain and sprinted through the streets of the town. Arriving at the blue house he had called a home for nearly a year now, he hopped on the porch roof and climbed up to the skylight over the attic. He peeked in through the window, happy to see that no one was there, and pushed it open. He jumped down, softly landing on the floor, and slowly began creeping toward his bed. Unlucky for him, the floorboards of the attic just happened to be the creakiest in not just their house but any house he had ever set foot in.

Step after step the boards squealed and creaked under Sonic's feet. "Oh, come on," he quietly complained. Glancing down to see where he could step, he noticed something clinging onto the bottom of his shoe. He leaned down and grabbed whatever it was, only to realize they were hundred-dollar bills. Knowing he shouldn't have that kind of money —and that it was evidence— he worriedly glanced around himself. He hurried over to his bed and opened the top drawer of his nightstand, placing the money there. As he was about to close it again, his gaze landed on an old piece of paper lying on its bottom. It was the map Longclaw had given him the day he arrived on Earth.

He grabbed the map and unfolded it. A brown feather that had been wrapped between the folds was picked up by the draft. Sonic watched surprised as the feather slowly fell in the air before softly landing on the floor. Leaning down, he picked up the feather and watched it as he held it between his fingers. Just seeing it brought him back to the days he had spent with her. Back when he had been nothing but a small, carefree hedgehog running around that paradise-like island.

"I miss you Longclaw. I'm trying to make you proud," he said, wishing that in some way the owl heard him.

Placing the feather back on the map, he folded it up like it had been before. He grabbed his pouch from the nightstand and placed the map inside it with his rings. Tying it up, he set it back on the nightstand next to a hefty book with dark leather casing.

Despite his tiredness, he opened the book from a random page, and came across a set of photographs that made him smile. They were of him and Y/N dressed as werewolves on Halloween. The dye that was supposed to turn him gray had instead made him a darker shade of blue and with the evening getting closer they had just gone with it. It had been a fun day, as not only was it one of the rare occasions he was allowed among the townspeople, it also included a stomachache inducing amount of candy.

With a yawn, Sonic shut the book, and finally climbed into bed. Pulling his covers over him he muttered, "And now for a little shuteye." Having been up almost all night, it wasn't a surprise that the hedgehog fell asleep almost immediately.