16 « Lightning »

Smoke billowed into the air, creating a veil of dust around the mechanical creation that stood over the land that now lay in ruin. The ground trembled, the roars of rumbling echoing around the scorched earth. The sounds slowly faded into nothing like a passing storm, leaving only a distant murmuring as the wreckage settled and the fire crackled.

Robotnik stared at the small screen before him with wide eyes. His whole body was trembling, his knuckles white as he gripped the controls. After countless hours of planning, dreaming of revenge and spending months in that place of misery, he had done it. Despite his complete plan having gone unfulfilled, what had been completed was what he had set out to do, and it felt delicious. Like an explosion, the doctor burst into a maniac laugh.

"I got him! I finally got him!"

He jumped as he rejoiced. He had triumphed. Won. Sure it hurt a bit that he hadn't gotten the chance to make the hedgehog go through the same —and much worse— levels of suffering that he himself had gone over the months, but at least he would no longer be there to torment him. The feeling was almost overwhelming to him.

Basking in his newfound joy that seemed endless, the suddenness of the tremble nearly took him out. He latched onto the controls, his celebration coming to an abrupt stop. The quake quickly came to a stop, leaving Robotnik perplexed. He stared out into the settling dust, eyes widening as he felt a lump growing in his throat.

A radiant light was piercing through the black smoke and it was coming from beneath the mech. Like the golden morning sun, its glow was getting brighter, and even more like a sunrise, it was rising. The robot was shaking as its foot was slowly lifted into the air.

Y/N slowly lifted her head, opening her eyes just enough to see the light blazing like a star right before her. Around it, she could see shards of radiant colors that sparkled as they swirled around the light. She could hardly keep her eyes open as the shine burned her, but something compelled her to watch. Millions of questions were fighting for their answer, demanding the spotlight, but their race through her mind only created a messy string of words:

...crushed there light is am is light is why the I the us what why not a I what alive saving is how light that am...

She watched as the colors danced and became a veil of rainbows for the light to wear. As her eyes somehow adjusted they widened, and the jumbled string of words formed a singular through:

The light is a person!

It was an obvious silhouette of someone holding up the gigantic robot. It reminded her of something. Something she had seen but could not quite remember.

A pair of eyes stared at her from the light. A pair of eyes she recognized. A pair of...

Rubies.

Y/N tried to identify them, place them somewhere, but there were no red eyes she knew of. Yet, somehow, she knew not just the eyes and who they belonged to, she swore there were red eyes, just not those ones, somewhere and sometime. She could just not pinpoint when.

It's S...

She knew the eyes. Emerald eyes.

Sonic.

Sonic, his whole body in a golden glow, was holding up the foot and lifting it higher. His quills glimmered like rays of sun, creating a golden flame that encompassed his whole body.

He suddenly shot upward, shoving the mech back, forcing it to tumble backward. Like a comet soaring through the sky, he flew upward, behind him a shining trail. Levitating in the air like a star of midnight, his eyes glimmered like rubies as he glared at the doctor.