Chapter 17

That night I slept so peacefully. There was a muffled chatter of people, dinnerware clinking and a small orchestra played some soothing music. I laid on the softest furniture I'd ever felt, it was like sleeping on a cloud. I felt someone sit down on the plush bed, their soft hands caressing the side of my face.

"You thought some silly amulet would protect you, how adorable." His deep voice rolled out mockingly. His hand quickly latched onto the amulet, snapping it off my neck. Any sense of drowsiness snapped out of my body, sitting up only to be faced with Dark again. He grabbed my jaw, pulling me closer to him, "It's been awhile, hasn't it?" He purred. My cheeks flushed, I could feel his warm breath against my skin. The smell of mint filled my senses.

What felt like a decade, we sat there, I stared into his analytical eyes, unable to break eye contact. His eyes seemed to stare into my core, looking for any weaknesses, like a predator.

Then, he got up, adjusted his suit, and walked over to the desk in the center of the room. The room was dark, almost everything made of ebony. Fitting. Even the sheet I laid in where a silky black, wait, was this his room? If he has this much power to effect my dreams, why doesn't he take me already? Not that I want to be taken by that sardonic ass but it just didn't make sense.

"Would you like some tea?" He asked, gesturing to the tea cup that sat on his desk in front of him. "It must feel nice having a break from those obnoxious egos, I'm sure."

I looked at him blankly. How was I supposed to respond? He was the reason I was in this situation in the first place.

"Oh, excuse my manners, you must want to shower, in a real shower, don't you? I'm sure the plastic cereal bowl isn't comfortable." He said, suddenly the room changed and I was sitting on the edge of a bathtub, still clothed, Dark nowhere to be seen. "Don't waste your time, there's a limit to how long I can keep you here." His voice muffled through the door, his steps fading away.

The bathroom was elegant, still dark but it created a nice contrast to the white marble tub. By the bathtub was a shower as well. I bit my lip, this was so weird.

I tiptoed to the door, locking it. Well, from the other dreams I've woken up from where I have eaten food with him, I did feel full in the morning. As much as I wanted another lukewarm bowl filled for me to bathe in, the shower looked enticing. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

I sighed in relief as the hot water splattered against my skin, for a moment, I forgot I was small...

Waking up, I could still feel the warmth of the water on my skin, my hair still slightly wet. The sun shined through the small gaps of the dresser drawer, it must be morning. I sat up, reaching over to the button that would turn on the small strand of Christmas lights to see.

I stretched, though something felt like it was missing. I reached toward my neck to feel for the amulet but I wasn't wearing it. Confused, I looked around only to be met with the sight of it completely shattered on my pillow. I frowned, I really needed a way to defend myself. What would I do once I was back to normal size? Would they hunt me down?

I shook my head, I didn't need to plague my mind with those thoughts right now. There has to be something I can do to prepare myself, I didn't want to be a sitting duck anymore.

'Should I tell them about this?' I thought, gathering the shards of the amulet in my hand. I bit my lip, I know the right answer would be to show them but- I sighed. Standing up, I turned to lift my makeshift bed, placing the broken amulet under it. It's not that I didn't appreciate their concern but I can't take being coddled anymore.

I hate this, having to rely on others for things that seemed so simple to do in the past. It felt like I had no autonomy. My safety is literally in their hands. I can't fight back if Anti or Dark comes to take me, I can't help out around here, if anything I make things harder for them! I couldn't help but think back to the night Chase saved me.