Chapter 15

I slowly opened my eyes, my head pounding. 'Oh jee, why did I think that was a good idea.' I thought, carefully pushing myself to sit up. I need some ice for this killer headache, is my wound still bleeding, where am I? I looked around and saw I was on top of the kitchen counter.

'There's no way I made it up here, I-' I yelped, seeing a figure nearby leaning against the kitchen sink, waiting for me. I must've startled the figure as he choked on his drink, splashing some of it on the ground. There was a bottle near him that he hit with his arm. It toppled and almost fell too but was soon caught by him. He sighed, looking at me.

"Jack?" I asked, my heart pattered thinking back to the dream. 'It's not him, you're safe here.'

"Oh, you're awake little duder. How're you feeling. Oh, I'm Chase by the way." Chase scrambled a reply, still startled.

"My head is pounding actually."

"Why don't I-" he muttered to himself, looking around for something. He grabbed a corner piece of paper towel and ripped it off, going over to the fridge and getting a piece of crushed ice from the ice machine. "There you are, that should help," he said, handing me the makeshift ice bag. His breath smelled like whiskey.

"Thank you."

"No problem duder."

There was an awkward silence between us. Chase was the one who seemed hesitant to introduce himself earlier, wasn't he?

"What are you doing up so late." He asked, trying to create small talk.

"I was looking for water, it helps me sleep after-" I didn't want to concern the egos with my nightmare, it was just a nightmare, nothing else. "Dreaming. You?"

"Oh, you know, the same." He responded, fidgeting. He seemed down about something.

"The whiskey would say otherwise."

He tensed up, looking at the bottle that sat beside him and awkwardly laughed. "Oh yeah, I forgot that was out here." He said, putting it back in the cabinet that was filled with various other alcoholic drinks.

"Are you alright?" I asked

"Totally."

"Are you sure?" I asked again. He sighed, sitting up onto the counter.

"It's just my kids. They haven't texted me in days now and, well, I'm just worried about them. I barely get to see them and now they won't even respond to my good mornings or good nights. I just worry about them, I know it's not a big deal but I care for them." He rambled. He grabbed his drink, taking a chug.

"Hey hey hey, it's ok to worry about them. I'm sure there's a good reason why they haven't responded. I mean, they're you kids so they still love you." I attempted to comfort Chase. I didn't know the egos had kids or even outside relationships.

"I know, but ever since all this Anti stuff has arisen we've been in lockdown at the house. I just feel so small and helpless that I can't check up on them." He replied, sighing.

"I get the feeling, my family doesn't even know I'm missing nor my friends or.. Anyone. They were able to pluck my up out of the world and no one would notice because I'm apparently in Europe. But even though I can't contact them until all this is over, I know their love is still just as strong. We can get through this, together." Chase looked at me for a moment before coming over and picking my up, holding me to his chest.

"I promise we'll get you back to the way you were." He stated. We stayed in that hug for a while, before he asked if I wanted to go back to bed.

"Could I actually get some water?" I asked, remembering the whole reason why I was there.

"Of course, let's see, would this work?" He asked. Scrambling through a drawer before pulling out a thimble. I shook my head yes.

He stayed with me in the kitchen as I drank the water, fulfilling my thirst.

"By the way, if you're having nightmares about Anti, it would be best to get a potion from Marvin tomorrow, those dreams are wicked when you have no control." He told me.

"How did you-"

"I know what it's like to have one, I could tell," he remarked vaguely, not going any further into why.

There's no way he could- is he, no that's ridiculous, you're just paranoid. But you couldn't help but wonder if there was something more to that statement.