1. The Mask

Art by @LustyLita on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Your majesty," the guard bows deeply before the throne. His silver sword gleams at his belt and his right-hand cups his helmet as he rises to his feet. "The Mask has struck again."

"Where?" The King straightens his posture and adjusts his heavy gold crown. A frown creases his face and his hands, bejeweled with rings, tighten around the armrests of the throne. 

"At the kingdom of Manburg your majesty," the guard responds with a bow of his head. The King growls softly, his ally's kingdom.

What was an assassin living in his kingdom doing there?

"Who was killed?"

"One of Schlatt's closest advisors. He fears he will be next and would like to forge an official alliance with the most powerful military kingdom in the region."

This brings a smile to the king's face.

"What did he ask for?"

The guard grimaces and takes a deep breath before continuing.

"He would like your daughter's hand in marriage."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dream polishes the blood from the last knife and places it in his belt along with the rest. With long strides, he walks over to the wall and grins at the picture of the advisor which has a large X drawn through it in blood.

"Hey congrats Dream," Sapnap slaps his shoulder in a friendly way and grins. "You've successfully created enough chaos in the kingdom that George was able to steal a good amount of jewels from the vault."

"And the fire?" Dream asks. He unbuckles the white circular mask from his face and drops it onto the desk.

The raven-haired man bites his lip with a smirk.

"It's still burning."

"Wonderful," Dream pushes his dirty blond hair out of his face and lowers his hood, crashing a glimpse of his piercing green eyes in the mirror. "That money will be enough to last us for a while."

"We have bigger problems," Sapnap says. He lets go of his friend's shoulder and turns to collapse in the rickety, wooden chair. "One of the king's guards saw you."

Dream waves a dismissive hand and undoes the golden clasp of his forest green cloak, tossing it aside.

"Plenty of Schlatt's guards saw me."

"No our king's guards," his friend interrupts. "And he's started a manhunt to hunt you down."

This caught Dream's attention as he turns around.

"And they found our hideout by the cornfields."

Dream's hands clench into fists as he breathes in and out slowly.

"George escaped but they burned it to the ground and took all the loot."

Dream growls, all trace of the joy from earlier vanishing.

"Dream," Sapnap catches his shoulder and forces his friend to look him in the eyes. "Our landlord is expecting us to pay tomorrow. We have nothing."

The blond snarls as he grabs his belt with knives, cloak, and mask.

"Then I'll have to take it back," he spits out.

Sapnap gasps as he's shoved aside as Dream storms out of his room.

"Dream wait!"

He runs after the man who throws open the front door and walks outside.

The summer air is sticky and humid against his skin with the dark clock certainly not helping.