4. Break-In

Art by @pine_gren on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Night falls outside the castle and the moon rises. It casts a white glow over the whole kingdom. The sky twinkles with a million stars, each one of them like diamonds against velvet.

Dream holds his breath. He presses himself tightly against the bark of the tree as if willing himself to melt into it. He watches as the two guards walk back and forth in front of the gates.

Their silver armor plates clank as they walk and their swords, glowing silver in the moonlight, sway slightly in their hands.

His eyes dart to a different where Sapnap and another man wait. Sapnap holds onto a branch with both hands as he silently lowers himself to the ground.

The other man tiptoes around the tree trunk. His black hooded cape is tightly pulled over his head so only a glimmer of blond hair peeks out. A large gold medallion on a gold chain thumps against his chest.

Dream raises his hand slightly to give the signal.

The unknown man slips out of the trees, his black hood slips back a bit to reveal a white smiley face mask, exactly the same as Dream's.

He runs full force at the guards who barely have time to react before he kills them with his swords. The silver blades slice through gaps in the armor leaving them blood stained.

Using a key from the guard's belt, he unlocks the door and mockingly bows to allow Dream inside.

The assassin scoffs as he walks past the person with Sapnap close behind.

"Ready?" Dream whispers. Sapnap nods and adjusts the black mask which only covers the lower part of his face.

The two of them enter the castle which is eerily silent.

They creep along the long hallways and find a flight of stairs leading down to the basement. The walls are made of rough stone with spare wooden doors throughout.

"I hope Punz can distract any guards long enough," Sapnap mutters under his breath.

They find a large wooden door at the end of the hallway and pause before it.

Dream holds up one finger and presses his ear against the door, listening for sounds.

The faint clattering of dishes and metal silverware can be heard.

The kitchen.

He makes a motion for Sapnap to back away but before they can do so, the door swings open.

Dream's hand flies to his belt to grab his knife as Sapnap turns and sprints away.

"Oh hello," Y/N smiles as she slowly lowers the knife with one finger.

"Y/N," Dream breathes a sigh of relief as he pockets the knife. "Why are you up?"

"Getting a snack," Y/N holds up a bowlful of fruits in all shapes and colors.

"Dream?" A faint whisper echoes through the hallway and they both peer into the darkness to find Sapnap watching from behind a wall.

"Oh Sapnap," Dream runs over and grabs his friend's hand, practically dragging him toward the Princess.

"This is Y/N, the Princess," Sapnap blinks down at the girl who smiles back at him. "She's helping me."

"Nope I helped you," Y/N scoffs as she turns around. "I'm going back to bed. Try not to cause too much chaos tonight."

Dream teaches out and grabs her hand before she can go.

Y/N turns around in confusion as Dream presses her hand to the mask, mimicking a kiss.