5. Aftermath

Art by @noranikoletta on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Let's go Dream!" Sapnap holds up his hand for a high five and Dream slaps it with all his might. "That was awesome!"

"It really was," the assassin leans back in his rickety chair and smiles. "Hope Punz was able to lose the guards in the fields."

"Oh that man is like a ninja," Sapnap shifts through the treasure lying on the coffee table and begins to stack the gold coins, counting under his breath. "He'll lose them."

"You're damn right I did."

The two of them jump to see Punz sitting cross-legged on the ledge of the open window. The cool night air blows in as the blond lands on the ground with a soft thump.

His black fingerless gloved hands undo the cloak, carelessly casting it aside. He walks forward with long strides, the gold necklace thumping against his white poet shirt.

"I was beginning to think you died," Dream chuckles. Punz rolls his blue eyes and grabs a nearby chair.

"Those guards are idiots," he settles himself on the chair and brushed a few specks of dirt from his black pants before turning to adjust his black boots. "And that escape was lucky. I was torn between coming to help you or just leaving in case they found me too."

"Yeah that was lucky," Sapnap stops counting the coin and crosses his arms. "Too lucky."

"What do you mean?" Dream squints at the two of them who exchange a knowing glance.

"Dream you know what," Punz scoffs. "I saw it and no doubt Sapnap saw it."

"Saw what?" Dream plays dumb.

Surely they couldn't have seen—

Punz lets out a loud sigh and slides off the chair. He reaches down to grab a gold coin from the coffee table. He lifts it to his eye and inspects it closely.

"The Princess was the one who saved you. I watched her climb up there during the battle, which was pretty impressive given the dress she was wearing."

"Dream I was literally looking up when the chandelier fell," Sapnap frowns. "She dropped it on purpose. On her own guards! On her own father!"

The assassin goes quiet. He doesn't say anything, just simply glaring at the two.

"What was that about her helping us huh?" Sapnap's voice begins to rise as he scoots forward.

"Ooooh tea," Punz grins as he sits down on the weathered couch next to Sapnap. He leans forward, propping his elbows on his knees and resting his chin on them. "Spill."

Dream breathes in deeply as his fist clenched around the coin he holds. He sighs and drops it to the ground with a clink.

"I was trying to sneak into the palace to find the treasure," Dream begins. "But I found the Princess's room instead. I guess I forgot my mask since she saw my face and as I climbed down as fast as I could, I thought I heard her telling the guards that it was me."

Sapnap and Punz look intrigued.

"So I came back that night," I continue, folding my hands together and fiddling with them nervously. "With the intent to kill her. But I didn't. She helped me. She gave me the money to pay the rent. I went back the next day and brought her a little present, a necklace. And I was able to find out where the treasure was being kept."

"Dream," Sapnap says, his tone filled with worry. "Don't tell me you're falling for the Princess."

"I don't know!" I burst out. I stand up and reach up to grab onto my hair, yanking it slightly. "She makes me laugh. She's just, I don't know. Not like anything I was expecting. I thought she would be the typical dainty, quiet Princess who would have quite literally fainted at the sight of me trying to kill her. But I can't imagine her risking her own father and guards' lives just to save us."

"Save you," Sapnap corrects. He points a finger at me and smiles. "It seems that she's in love with you."

"Sapnap that's ridiculous. She's a Princess! She probably has Princes lined up for her hand in marriage. Besides," I sit down on the couch again and sigh. I gently pick up a fallen coin from the floor and stare at my reflection in its shiny surface. "Even if she does love me, what chance do I have to be with her?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/N POV

"Y/N," my father sits on his throne, regal as always, except for the trickle of blood dried on the side of his head. A servant stands beside him, pressing a white cloth against the wound which is already stained red.

I wince and feel a twinge of guilt.

Did I really do that all for Dream?

"The Mask attacked tonight," his voice booms around the empty throne room. "And we need to forge an alliance to put a stop to his rampage once and for all."

"But how will—"

"Silence!" he yells and I shudder but fall silent. The servant glances at me and makes a sympathetic face. We all knew how bad his temper could be.

The King coughs as the servant stumbles to reposition the cloth.

"You will marry the King from our ally's kingdom. He hates the Mask and with his help, we can hunt this villain down."

"Schlatt?"

"Correct."

Schlatt?

His reputation with women isn't exactly favorable...

I open my mouth to protest again my father holds up his hand for silence.

"I am holding a masquerade ball in two nights. Schlatt will be there. This would be a great opportunity to introduce you to your future husband."

"But father Schlatt is—"

"Enough," I watch him stand up and sweep out of the throne room, his royal robe trailing in his wake as the servant scurried after him. "My decision is final."

The door slams shut leaving me in the cold, empty room. Tears begin to stream down my face.

But I don't want to be with Schlatt.

Who knows what he'll do with me?

I want Dream.

Dream will protect me.

Dream cares about me.

Right?

I brush my tears away and slowly climb the stones back to my tower.

But I can't have him.

I'll have to live my life with a man I have no interest in.

How can I tell my father that I fell for the infamous villain The Mask?

——————————————————————————————

1,105 words

If you enjoyed this chapter, give it a like and leave a comment!

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!