6. Breakfast

Art by @Xen_O_Gax on Twitter

Dream POV

"Oh Romeo, Romeo, where art thou headed to?" Sapnap calls in a mocking voice from the doorway. I growl at him and continue to arrange my knives in my belt. "Come on lover boy. Stop moping over Juliet, she is a Capulet and you're Montague. The King would have your head if he found your hands on her."

"Oh shut it," I snap at him. I finish sorting my knives and strap the belt around my waist with the knives facing toward me, concealed from view but perfectly accessible.

"You just know I'm right," he laughs as I throw him gets another glare before storming out.

It's early morning, too early for even the sun to rise. The sky is still a dark blue but hints of the sun's orange rays creep along the edges of the field.

I pause for a second to stare at the faint light before hurrying to the market. The shop vendors are still setting up their stalls, unpacking crates full of stocked goods.

I keep my mask hidden from view for now and pull my hood up as I stalk closer to the forest. The dirt path leaves swirls of dust as I walk and I swipe a bright red apple from a crate as I pass.

The morning air is cool but in the forest shade, it's even colder. I pull the cloak tighter around me as I wait for an opportunity.

Within a few minutes, the guards rotate, the pair disappearing into the castle for a few moments to get the other guards, enough time for me.

I've done this so many times it's muscle memory at this point. I grip the ivy vines tightly as I begin to climb up.

Thank god I'm wearing gloves.

Without the gloves, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to hold onto the vines without getting cut. The morning rays begin to creep up the castle walls and I begin to climb faster and faster, as if racing the sun.

With the golden light only touching the very base of the balcony, I swing my leg over and land with a soft thud against the floor.

I quietly stole through the open balcony to the Princess's bed and smile at the sight.

Y/N lies on her back with her Y/H/C hair spread out around her head. Her eyes are shut tightly but flutter occasionally.

I quietly walk over until I'm standing beside the bed. I kneel down and gently pull the covers away from her.

She groans and her hands make a grabbing motion as if to pull the warmth back.

I slide off one of the gloves and tenderly run my fingers through her hair. The strands feel like silk and it flows through my fingers.

I lean forward some more until my face is hovering inches from hers. I admire her round face, her long lashes, and her soft lips.

Automatically, I feel myself leaning forward, as if I'm in a dream.

Would I actually dream of kissing her?

My lips stop just centimeters away from hers. I can feel the sparks flying between them and I just want to make the connection so bad.

But I can't.

I pull away and let out a soft sigh.

With a gentle hand, I shake her shoulder.

"Princess," I whisper, putting my lips closer to her ear. "Princess."

"What?" Y/N mumbles. She rolls over and I crack a smile.

"Time to wake up," I stand up and shake her shoulder more firmly.

"Nooooo," she groans and grabs the blanket, covering herself with it again.