10. Betrothal

Art by @brookiec00ky on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient

Y/N stretches in her bed, turning over to face away from Punz.

"Y/N," Punz groans. He pushes her shoulder again with his leather-gloved hand. "Come on, wake up."

"Princess Y/N," she corrects, pulling the blanket tighter around herself.

"Come onnnn," he begins to grow impatient, poking her shoulder over and over. "I'm going to get fired if I let you sleep all day."

"Good," Y/N mumbles.

Punz rolls his eyes and grabs the edge of the blanket, yanking it off her with one swift tug.

Y/N lets out a yelp as Punz rips the blanket away.

"Up," he says sternly. "Now."

"Fine fine," Y/N rolls out of bed and into the floor where her rabbit fur sleepers are waiting for her. "Any threats last night?"

Her guard frowns as he gambles at the balcony where sunlight pours in.

"Yes, an assassin," he says. He opens her closet and begins searching for a dress. "Your assassin."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Y/N sits on the edge of the bed, stretching as Punz holds up two blue dresses. One is a pale, light blue while the other is a bright royal blue. She points at the pale blue one and he nods, putting the other back.

"He didn't want to," Punz puts the dress on her chair and turns to leave so she can have some privacy. "And I have a feeling I'll be witnessing a lot of your little encounters."

The door slams shut as Y/N yawns again. She grabs the fallen blanket and wraps it around herself like a burrito, quickly falling asleep.

20 minutes later

"Sir?" Punz snaps to attention as a guard reaches the top of the stairs leading to Y/N's tower. "Is the Princess ready yet?"

The blond shrugs.

"It's been twenty minutes but I gave her some privacy to change. I should check though."

The guard nods and turns back to leave.

"I'll tell the King you two are on your way."

Punz nods gratefully and waits until the guard has completely left before knocking on Y/N's door.

"Y/N?" he calls through the solid wood. "Are you ready yet?"

No reply from her.

You better not be dead.

Punz grips his sword tightly, the other hand on the doorknob as he slowly turns it before swinging the door open.

"Y/N—"

He stops at the sight of Y/N fast asleep once again in her bed. She's snuggled against the pillows looking like a cozy caterpillar in a cocoon.

"Yep, I'm getting fired today."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Punz practically drags Y/N down the stairs as she grumbles complaints under her breath.

"Come on, stand up!" Punz hisses quietly, the dining room only a few doors away. "Your dad has been waiting for you for half an hour!"

"Then he can wait some more," Y/N rubs her eyes with a yawn as Punz tugs at her wrist, nearly tripping over a bump in the carpet.

"Yeah why don't you tell him that yourself then," he pushes her toward the large door and throws it open.

As though she just flipped a switch. Y/N's posture changes to that of a Princess. Her head is held high, her eyes wide and awake as she strides through the dining room.