18. Escape

Art by @weiqiatm on Twitter

Punz POV

"You're the one who killed him!" Dream shrieks at me.

He's right. 

"You're the the traitor!"

"I am not," I reply, trying to keep my voice steady and force my emotions down. "You are."

Dream's screams of rage and pain echo and reverberate off the castle's stone walls. They slowly fade away, leaving me with the echo of his words.

"You majesty?" one of the guards approaches me and bows almost hesitantly.

This makes me smile.

This feels right.

"Is there anything else you need us to do?" I look behind him at the squadron of guards still standing there. Some awkwardly twist their swords and fiddle with their armor.

"Not right now," I force a smile as the events from before replay in my head. "I'll be in the King's chambers for the rest of the night. Make preparations for the funerals of both our King and King Schlatt of Manburg."

"Of course," I watch the guards bow and disperse, leaving me alone in the hallway.

Once the guards have fully left I carefully slide off the gold crown and examine it. The jewels cast rainbow lights on the walls and ceiling as I run my thumb across the large red ruby in the front.

I did it for you

20 Years Ago

"Auntie!" A four-year old Punz wraps his arms around a woman's leg. She laughs and gently tugs her silk robes out of his tiny grasp.

"Hello Punzy," she hands her crying daughter to the woman next to her and scoops the blond child into her arms. "How are you today?"

"Sleepy!" he reaches his hands toward her face and makes a grabbing motion. The woman laughs and moves him closer.

Punz latches onto her large dangly earrings and tugs on them.

"Shiny."

"Ow, ow," the woman pulls her head away as Punz frowns, reaching for the golden tiara on her head. "Stop that.

Punz laughs as his aunt swings him around, her skirt flying around them.

"She won't stop crying," Punz's mother mutters quietly from behind. She cradles the crying one year old girl who is bawling her eyes out.

Punz is gently dropped to the floor as his aunt wraps her arms gently around the Princess.

"It's okay Y/N," she rocks them side to side as Punz latches himself onto his mother's leg. "It's okay."

Y/N stops crying and rests her head against her mother's neck, sniffling.

"She just tired," Punz's mother says. She picks up Punz too, bringing him closer to Y/N.

Punz's blue eyes widen as he leans closer to Y/N. The tiny Princess lifts her head to stare at him too.

The two lock eyes, a million thoughts flying through their little brains as they study each other. The two woman watch as their kids observe each other.

Then, Punz's hand comes down and slaps Y/N across the cheek.

"Punz!" his mother scolds. Y/N's face scrunches up like she's about to cry. "Don't do that to your cousin!"