16. Assassination

Art by @NerdyNostalgia_ on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Y/N!" Punz yells over the screams of the crowd. He covers his mouth with one hand and coughs as the smoke blows around in the wind. Through the haze, he spots Schlatt dragging Y/N off the stage by one arm and toward the castle.

Sapnap laughs softly from the rooftop. With a second flaming arrow, he shoots it at the ground where the line of straw lies.

The circle catches fire, trapping the crowd within. The screams become panicked as people stampede over one another, pushing others into the flames.

The platform quakes as the thud of something heavy lands.

Punz squints through the smoke, barely making out a dark figure dressed in a green cloak before he dives aside as a knife streaks past his face.

Dream lands on the stage, boots crushing the ashes of the burned flag.

Several guards rush toward him, their swords drawn.

Dream smiles, his green eyes darkening with bloodlust as he removes two long silver swords of his own.

"Your majesty!" Punz grabs the King by the arm and drags him back. "We must get you somewhere safe!"

And where no one will see you until tomorrow.

The King coughs as the smoke before thicker and thicker, the unburnt portion of the platform shrinking.

He nods as Punz holds his swords in front of them, slashing through the remainder of the flag which is still half suspended, burning with bright orange flames.

"Where's my daughter?! Where's Schlatt?!" The King's voice rises in alarm as he frantically searches the smoke for the couple.

Punz hesitates, knowing full well where the two ran off.

Only a few feet away, Dream battles the guards fiercely, swords clashing as blood splatters and stains his outfit.

"They went into the castle!" he yells, hoping it's loud enough for Dream to hear. "Schlatt took Y/N into the castle!"

"Then that's where we'll go," the King coughs out as Punz grabs his arm, pulling him to safety.

Deep in the battle, Dream hears Punz's cry. He ducks under a guard's sword and stabs another from behind.

One killed, one to go.

With a smile, the assassin pushes a guard into the fire and sprints toward the castle. His feet pound against the wood which weakens by the second from the fire.

The guards gawk as the assassin jumps over the flames, his body seemingly untouched the by the ropes of fire.

With the burning stage behind him, Dream smiles, sliding one sword into a sheath on his back. He strides into the throne room, taking note of the two ornate thrones against the wall.

Now where are you Schlatt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Schlatt stop!" Y/N yanks at the older man's hand with no success as she thrown into a nearby room and the door is slammed shut behind.

Schlatt growls as he picks the door behind them.

"My fucking wedding is ruined. My right hand man is dead," he snarls as he lunges forward, seizing Y/N's waist with his hand. "But we said our vows sweetheart. You're my wife now."

Y/N pushes him back but he slams her against the wall, smirking as she writhes in his grasp.

"Give it up Princess. You belong to me now."