19. Kidnapped

Art by @sennhah on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Princess Y/N?" Punz's knock sounds faintly through the thick, wooden door.

Y/N's eyes widen as the door swings open to reveal Punz in his golden crown. Her eyes frantically dart to Sapnap who is bent over her treasure chest, shoveling armfuls of gold and jewels into a large sack brown.

"Uh," Punz coughs awkwardly as Sapnap stands up hurriedly, backing away as he stares at the blond. "Well, um."

"Let Dream go," Sapnap snarls, he slides a dagger out from his pocket and points it at Punz. A sly smile crossed the King's face as he takes a daring step forward.

"I'm afraid the assassin has escaped," he lets out a long, disappointed sigh. "What a pity."

Y/N watches as Punz walks over to the balcony and places a hand on the drapes, carefully pulling them back and tying them with the golden ropes.

The night breeze blows into her room, sending chills down her spine.

"But I think he'll be visiting soon to kidnap the Princess," his eyes flick to Y/N and then to Sapnap. "So I suggest you gather your things quickly."

The two watch in silence as Punz strides back to the door and opens it. He steps outside but pokes his head back into the room.

"Tell Dream that this is a sort of thank you for all he's done for me."

The door closes with a soft bang as Sapnap still stares dumbfounded at Y/N.

"Did he just—"

Y/N shakes her head, already racing to her wardrobe to pull out a more simple dark blue dress and the cloak she wore when Dream stole her away for a night.

"I wouldn't question him."

Why would Punz help us?

What has Dream done for him in the past?

Sapnap nods understandingly as he resumes his plundering of her treasure.

"I hope they know what they're doing."

Y/N nods as she adjusts the blue crystal necklace around her neck. Her fingers rub against the rough, jagged surface of the stone.

Somewhere in the dark night, Dream would be waiting, plotting to come and get her.

She pictures the assassin, cloaked in black, sprinting across the fields of golden wheat, the dark green crystal thumping against his chest.

"He does, I'm sure of it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sapnap exhales slowly as he paces back and forth. The room is pitch black, the open curtains still flapping in the wind.

Y/N sits on the bed, her hands clasped tightly in her lap. She wears the same dress that she wore the night Dream took her out of the castle, along with the dark blue cloak. The necklace brushes against her bare chest, safely tucked away out of sight under the folds of the collar.

"Come on Dream," Sapnap mutters under his breath. "Where are you?"

Y/N sighs as she looks down at her dress, finally tearing her eyes from the balcony's railing.

A sudden warm breeze blows past, the faint scent of sandalwood, pine, and grass carried on it. Y/N freezes in place as she strains her ears to listen for any noise.

Sapnap is also quiet, peering into the darkness.

There's the soft sound of a blade drawing before the silver edge of a dagger is pressed against Y/N's throat. She lets out a muffled gasp as a gloved hand wraps around her face.