12. Killer in the Shadows

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Come on Y/N," Punz mutters under his breath, leaning against the railing of the balcony as he gazes off into the distance. The pink rays of the sun are just starting to peek over the horizon.

"Punz."

He hears his name called softly, yet urgently. He looks down to see Dream climbing up the vines with Y/N on his shoulder.

"Oh god," Punz reaches down and carefully hauls Y/N up. "You're just in time."

"Yeah we may have lost track of time," Dream runs the back of his neck awkwardly as Punz sets Y/N down.

"Dream?" she mumbles, swaying slightly on her feet. Dream jumps to catch her as he collapses backward, eyes closing.

He just smiles and brushes her hair out of her face.

"What did you do?" Punz whispers, staring at Y/M with wide eyes.

"Oh chill it's not what you think," Dream laughs and picks up Y/N bridal style, carrying her toward her bed. "We had some wine though."

"You got her drunk?" Punz gasps as Dream lays the sleeping Princess on her bed.

"Just a little," he shrugs and unties her blue cloak, tossing it carelessly onto the chair.

"Dude she's going to be hungover tomorrow!" Punz complains, tugging at his blond hair.

"Hmmm," Dream smirks and places a light kiss on Y/N's lips. "Not really my problem."

Punz scowls and swats Dream's shoulder lightly.

"Seriously though," he crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow. "Did you guys, you know..."

Dream crosses his arms, mirroring Punz's stance, and smiles.

"Not yet."

"Dream!" Punz scolds furiously. "She's a Princess!"

"And?" Dream sighs as he sits down on the bed with Y/N. He rests a hand on Y/N's face gently. "She has to enjoy her freedom while she still has it."

Punz's face falls and he nods solemnly.

"You know this only means bad news for the kingdom too," Dream continues. "If she marries Schlatt and her father dies, the kingdoms will unite. And we both know that the kingdom of Manburg isn't the happiest."

The blond inhales sharply at the realization.

"So," Dream stands up, kissing Y/N one more time. "I plan on ensuring Y/N doesn't marry him."

"Oh my god," Punz presses a hand to his mouth at the realization. "You're going to kill Quackity and him aren't you?"

"That's right," Dream smiles with all his teeth, a sinister evil smile. "Then when her dad dies, she'll be the only one left to rule."

"If he dies," Punz interjects. "The king is old but not that old. He's still strong enough to stay in power for at least another ten years."

"When's the proposal?" Dream asks suddenly. His hands twitch toward his belt, imagining the satisfaction of killing Schlatt.

"You think I know?" Punz shrugs and sways on his feet. He glances down at Y/N and sighs. "I hope for her sake that it's at least a few days away."

"Then a few days it is," Dream walks toward the balcony with hasty, heavy strides. "I'll have to plan something more elaborate if this is going to work."

"Dream," his name catches his attention as Punz utters it. He stands in the middle of the archway, his fingers rubbing the fabric of the curtain between his fingers. "Be careful."