2. Deal

Art by @sunflwrkris on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Night falls and the kingdom is silent. The once busy marketplace is now deserted. The dusty roads winding through the kingdom empty.

Every now and then, there's a clank of armor or the swing of a sword, a reminder of the guards on patrol.

Not too far in the forest, a shadow waits.

Dream smiles under his mask, his hand clutching a dagger under his cloak.

He waits, listening intently for any sounds.

At last, the sound of the guards' footsteps fade away and he jumps down from the tree. His black boots make a soft thump against the grass as he lands.

Within an instant, he's sprinting across the field, his dark green cloak billowing around in the wind.

The tall grass sways in the breeze as he tramples through it.

Dream stops just at the bottom of the stone walls. He slips the knife in his belt and searches the walls for the ivy from earlier.

His black, leather gloved hands grab onto the thick stalks as he begins to climb.

The climb feels just as long as before, perhaps longer as he constantly glances down, expecting to see a team of archers ready to shoot him down.

Within minutes, the balcony comes into view and Dream hovers just below it, pausing as he listens for any sounds of movement.

After he hears none, he joists himself over the railing and lands on the floor as quietly as he can.

The balcony is open to the breeze, the white curtains flapping in the wind.

Dream strides through them, letting the dot material brush against his body.

The room is almost completely dark except for a single candle sitting on a desk.

At the desk sits a person who is hunched over, seemingly absorbed in their writing.

The assassin smiles as he slides out a dagger, the silver glinting in the moonlight.

"Hello Princess," she hurriedly looks up, her eyes widening at the sight of a strange man in the room holding a knife. "How about you do me a favor and not yell for help so we make this easier for both of us."

He takes a step closer as the princess gets up from her chair and quickly backs away.

Dream laughs as he slowly advances, pushing her further against the wall.

"I think I'd rather not die tonight," she says. Her voice is soft, barely audible in the night air.

"And I'd rather not kill the princess of my kingdom, but," he spreads his arms to gesture around them. "Here I am."

"Why do you even want to kill me?"

She continues to inch away from him, sliding herself against the wall.

Dream pauses, her never talked with his targets. He usually killed them.

Why is she not more afraid of me?

"That's not your concern," he says.

"It might as well be the last thing I know before it happens right?" The Princess stands in front of her bed with Dream only a few feet away.

As he moves closer, she starts to back up toward the balcony.

The assassin smiles at this as he takes smaller steps, savoring the moment.