Ch-20

[A Trial to Determine]

Kengo and Akito's voice filled the empty gymnasium of their brave cries. The two would have their backs be covered by each other as they were handling the hordes of honkai zombies and minor beasts. They shot at the incoming zombies before switching their positions. A few hand-to-hand was used, mainly for restraining to shoot them or for just knocking them away. Their coordination worked well enough that they're covering each other's back well enough.

Ignis was eagerly watching, having trained them for days before tomorrow, which will be the day for their exams. His smile didn't fade as he saw the two get in better sync from the last time. He now stops the simulation as he felt that it was enough.

As the simulated enemies disappear, the two partners got their sigh of relief and fell down on their rear. The two boys are breathing heavily from exhaustion.

"Finally... Break time..."
Akito muttered.

"I have to expect, your teamwork improved. You two are ready."
Ignis stated with a proud grin.

"T-thank... you...."
Kengo said.

"Still, your teamwork could use a little more fixing. But overall, its satisfactory."
Ignis said.

"Alright! Dismissed."

With the end of their training session, Kengo rested his back to the floor as. Akito got up but soon caught glimpse of Ignis gesturing him to follow him. He complied, following the older man as he walked out. He lead him to a private place where they could talk.

"What made you push yourself to work without you constantly ragging on him today?"
Ignis asked.

"That has nothing to do with you."
Akito scoffed.

"Alright alright, just don't be too rough on him, okay?"
Ignis said, earning a sharp glare from Akito.

"Hmph. Whatever."
Akito soon walked away.

"I still need to get through one last review session with Fu Hua..."
Kengo went out of the gym after Akito.

"How's the boy's progress?"
Himeko's voice soon echoed as she walked up to Ignis.

"They're ready."
Ignis answered confidently.

"All that's needed to be done is the actual test."

-

"What is it, Overseer Otto?"
Rita asked, having received a call from the Overseer himself.

"You want me to...?
She mumbled upon hearing his small task.

"No.. I'll do it. I also wish to see how strong he is."
She said.

"Rita? What was that?"
Durandal asked.

"Mr. Otto tasked me for something."

-

Next day.....

"I feel so unsure..."
Kengo uttered as he makes his way towards the room where he and Akito would have their written exams.

"Kengo? You okay?"

A voice made him turn to his back and there he saw Mei, Kiana and Bronya.

"You don't seem okay."
Mei stated.

"Well, um..."
Kengo hesitated a little.

"Nervous?"
Kiana remarked, earning a nod from him.

"That's completely normal, Subject Kengo."
Bronya uttered.

"Besides! I know you've been getting ready. I'm sure you can do it."
Kiana said with a grin.

"Don't forget Kengo, Smile Smile!"
Mei said with a big smile, confusing both Bronya and Kiana. Although admittedly she felt embarrassed, she felt that this gesture would help him cheer up.