Chapter 1

Rayne's pov

I looked around cautiously as I approached the creek, who knows what could be out there. Once I was sure nobody was around I ran as well as I could up to the creek to wash the dried blood off of me. It seemed that when the tank knocked me over, I hurt a whole lot more than just my head. There were deep cuts scattered over my arms, a couple on my legs, and one on my head. They had stopped bleeding two days ago, when everything went down. Since then, I had found nobody, I was all alone.

I got underneath my nails and washed a portion of my hair that had blood caked on it. I had nothing to store water in, so I cupped my hands and took some sips that way. I had no shelter, no food, no water, and no weapons. I hadn't slept for two days, I was too busy trying to find some sort of shelter, but there was none. I have no clue what direction the highway is in, and I'm terrified of what could happen. The Governor could still be out there, I never saw him go down. I could be the only survivor from it all. It's hard to think about, and I don't want to believe it, but it's true.

I stood up from the creek and headed forward. I figured eventually I would find something. My legs cramping up every couple of steps and the migraine I had mixed with the nausea, to create my very own definition of hell.

This whole mess is my definition of hell. I had to take deep breaths to keep what little food I had down, and to keep myself moving forward. I had no motivation other than the unlikely thought of other survivors. My heartbeat can be heard inside my head, and I feel like I can no longer keep going. I collapse beside a tree and immediately throw up what I had in my stomach. With every wave of vomit, the pain in my head increases by 300%. It hurts to move, it hurts to think, it hurts to lay down.

Now with vomit dripping from my chin, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, but that only made me throw up even more. My head felt like it was going to explode, and I wanted nothing more than for someone to come up and shoot me, or even a walker to come and tear me to pieces, after all, it would be less painful. I could no longer open my eyes, and I welcomed unconsciousness, and hoped that I wouldn't have to wake up.

Much to my disappointment, I woke up. I don't know how long I was out, but it must have been hours. It amazed me that a walker hadn't come along and tore me apart. Now without my migraine, I stood up, still to deal with the leg cramps, and the stomach pains. I couldn't go on much longer without food, and I pondered if starving would be a good way to go.

I kept trudging on, walking aimlessly through the non-ending forest. I looked up to the sky and saw some rain clouds, maybe it would rain and wash me away.

I don't know how much longer I had been walking, but my stomach felt like it was devouring itself, I guess starvation isn't an option anymore, just more pain. I looked for anything to eat, whether it be berries or mushrooms.

After scouring the ground, I found a tiny strawberry plant and picked the five that were growing, and ate them like a ravenous animal. I licked the juices off of my fingers, and my stomach was somewhat satisfied. I felt like I could go a little further before I had to stop again, and so I moved on.

The moon rose and I needed to stop. I didn't have the energy to climb a tree, and I had nothing to build shelter with, I'm helpless. Weighing my options of trying to climb a tree and laying on the ground took longer than it should have. I searched for a low branch and started to climb, it took every energy resource I had to not fall. I settled on the branch and closed my eyes, ready for sleep, ready for my body to either repair itself, or die.