Hard Times

Ben's P.O.V.

I sat on the edge of the curb, wondering how the hell did I let it get this bad.

One year ago, I  was an surgical resident and loved what I did for a living.

One call from my baby sister Sade turned my world upside down. My mother was dying of cancer, and I felt like my breath was being taken from my body.

My dad had passed away almost 3 months prior, and I didn't fully grieve him.

Running to Seattle Grace, I heard words that I never thought I would hear.
Mrs. Warren, I have been at Seattle Grace for 30+ years, and I take my job seriously. I believe I can remove the cancer from your intestines and stomach.

Are you sure? Sandra Warren said nervously.  Who are you again? Ben interjected.

Uh, sorry, Webber.
Dr. Richard Webber Cheif of Surgery . He stuck out his hand to shake.

Ben looked at the man, feeling the dampness of his hands and the slight aroma of alcohol.

I am scheduling your surgery tomorrow morning, when we are all well rested he said with a reassuring smile that made him feel comfortable and like he could trust his words.

Well big fucking mistake I put my mom's life in his hands, and although I can't prove it I believe Richard Webber was intoxicated during surgery.

That is the reason why her bowel was knicked. Left over fecal matter contaminated everything immediately, turning her septic.

She died 6 hours after her surgery, and my life has been a derailed train since. Drinking, spending money on women, and as my dad said, money can't buy love, and well, every woman I dealt with got their cut, then some.

I am broke and lost my parents' home, isolated myself from my siblings.

Hearing my hospital merged with Seattle Grace, I couldn't face Dr. Webber, so I gave up on myself.  

It wasn't until I saw that my family home was put into foreclosure that I decided to get my shit together. 

But no car, no home, no money, that's hard. I'm doing lots of handy  work to be able to get back on my feet. I walked down the sidewalk and saw a mother. She was dressed in a business pants suit, and by her facial expression, I could tell she was no nonsense.

I slowly walked towards her. Excuse me, ma'am, I was just wondering if it is any handywork that you need to take care of?

Uh, no, get off my property, please.

Ma'am I work well with my han... 

Sir, I said no! Furthermore, why would I let a homeless man into my house.

Ben frowned and stared at the sidewalk. I'll get going see you around.

Sir, he turned and smiled. You would do better just finding a real job instead of knocking on doors begging for jobs.

His face dropped and he nodded his head. Miranda pulled out of her driveway and turned up her music .

Benjamin Warren?
Hey
Mrs. Hill! Ben said, happy to see   one familiar face.

How are you? I know it's been tough since your mom.

He nodded.

How's your sister's?

They're good maintaining. 

And that beautiful Brooke?

She's okay his smile dropped. He hadn't seen Brooke in 4 months, and he missed his baby girl.

Come in and share a meal with an old gal she smiled. I walked in and smelled the aroma of Southern cooking it reminded me of Sunday evening at my moms house she was a fantastic cook and taught me everything I knew.

I made pot roast homemade mashed potatoes and fresh string beans with smoked turkey. Have some?

He licked his lips. Absolutely.

As he dived into the plate,
Mrs. Hill reached over and touched his hand. Hard times don't last always.

Ben let a tear fall choking on his words, he allowed her to wrap her hands around his shoulder.

Don't get stuck in this traffic jam, you will be okay. It will get better, I promise. 

He smiled as she kissed his cheek and rubbed his back.

So how is surgery? Last time we talked you were getting ready to take a surgeon exam. How's it going?

Ummm, well, times were tuff and I didn't take it he said sheepishly. I lost everything my house my parents house my drive and ambition I have nothing. I will go back and take my exam but I need to get my parents house back.

Hmm and how much do you need?

Twenty-five Thousand Dollars !

Mrs. Hill nodded.  Okay so my house needs to be remodeled and you are excellent with your hands. I would like my flooring replaced my kitchen and bathroom overhauled and a fresh coat of paint on the walls.

Ben's eyes widen ummm okay Absolutely

Oh and as an early gift to you for passing your surgeon exam you can have my husband's old truck. It might need a deep clean but it works she smiled. He rushed towards her his arms engulfing her body and raising her from the floor. Thank you so much he kissed her on the cheek. Okay here are my keys I am going to Florida for a month and hopefully you will be done he nodded.

One month later:

Oh my goodness Benjamin,  you did wonderful I am so grateful and thankful for this. And we never agreed on outside paint how did you know?

Well, growing up you always said you wanted a baby blue house with white trim and color flowers paving the walkway and under the window box.

I hope it's everything you could've hoped for.

She reached into her purse and handed Ben a check for Fifty Thousand dollars.

We said Twe...

I know but I lost my son,  and you are the closet thing to it. Take it and be awesome, how I know you will be.

He smiled and nodded his head. Oh by the way I took the exam this morning.

AND!! She screamed.

I passed, he purposely said slow.

Thank you lord I knew it, your momma and daddy would be so proud.

Oh, and Rachel asked me to take full custody of Brooke so you will be seeing a lot more of her in a minute.

She clasped her hands together with a big smile. Benjamin God's timing is everything. 

Congratulations, baby.

Thank you, he held her hand.