Chapter 4

Daenyra took her time delicately placing rubies in her sister's hair. Today was the commencement of Rhaenyra Targaryen and Ser Laenor Velaryon's wedding festivities. 

"You look, beautiful sister... A certain Ser Cole won't be able to take his eyes off you." She whispered the last part as her sister gawked. 

"How in the seven hells do you even know about that?" Rhaenyra asked, half joking and half panicking. In truth, Rhaenyra trusted her little sister with all of her secrets but her ability to "make friends" as she calls it, was daunting. 

"I have a 'friend' in Queen Alicent's service. She apparently called in Ser Cole and questioned him about the whole Daemon situation... Evidently, the dumbass thought she was talking about him and he admitted to coupling with you. Kepa basically told her to fuck off and now, she knows but has no action to take at the situation." Daenyra answered absentmindedly as she continued to fiddle with her sister's hair. 

"She knows?"

"Yup!" She answered cheerfully popping the 'p' at the end. 

"Father knows?"

"Father will remain willfully blind and will deny any such accusation against you. He named you heir, he won't sully our name or the possibility of future female heirs for a simple bout of lust. However, I would proceed with caution. You need allies, Rhaenyra. Other than me and father you have none, Father even got rid of Otto Hightower as hand so be weary. If you marry Laenor and then start popping out children that look like Cole, people will ask questions and Aegon will look like the better choice." 

"When did you grow so well versed in court affairs?" Rhaenyra teased her now seven-year-old sister. 

"I have a lot of friends." She shrugged giving Rhaenyra a cheeky wink. 

The girls laughed together. 

After her giggles subsided Daenyra looked to her sister with real concern, "Word of advice, sweet sister... Ensure that your first child is Laenor's. I am aware of his tastes, but if the heir looks to be Velaryron people will turn a blind eye to the others." 

"You know everything do you?"

"Most...Yes."

"Sometimes I think you would make for a better Queen." 

"Probably... If you were born a male I could have just married you, been queen, and done away with all this bother. In short, fuck you for your lack of manhood."

"Yes, that seems to be a common theme in my life. Also watch your language, who is teaching you to say such foul things." 

"Partially Daemon's letters, partially I was in the room as Alicent gave birth." 

Rhaenyra laughed at the thought of self-righteous Alicent yelling 'fuck you' at a maestor. "Also Derek when I do something 'Reckless," She said the word reckless in a silly deep voice with a grumpy face. 

"I don't sound like that." The low rumble of Derek's voice echoed from his station against the wall. 

"I thought it was pretty accurate. I have your broodiness down to a science." She teased the dower knight before turning her attention back to her sister, "Well come on then! Let's get you married so I can have the attention for myself once more."

"As if you ever lack for attention." Derek's deep gravelly voice echoed once more.

"Exactly, sharing is exhausting." 

Rhaenyra couldn't help but burst into laughter at her sister's exaggerated whine. 

The sisters walked hand in hand approaching their father at the table in front, preparing to greet guests.