Chapter 19

Year 298 A.C. (G.O.T. Time period)

Prince Rhaegar, the second of his name, sat down with his siblings, Viserys and Daenerys. His son Aegon Targaryen, from his second wife Lyanna Stark, also sat on his lap, excited to hear the tales. He had taken to reading to them about their family history. He loved seeing their eyes light up when speaking about certain ancestors. 

Their favorite time period was the Dance of Dragons, most specifically about Queen Daenyra "the Conqueror" of House Targaryen. Daenerys was obsessed with her, claiming that their names were very similar, meaning she was destined to be just as great. 

Rhaegar was named after the Conquerer's first son, Rhaegar 'Battle-born'. Viserys too was named after her son, Viserys 'the cunning'. 

"Alright... Tonight I will tell you the story, of the final dance of dragons." Rhaegar smiled as the children hopped about smiling brightly, excited to hear their favorite story. 

After Princess Rhaenyra was named heir to the Iron Throne, the realm was divided. The land picked a side to stand with Rhaenyra or Aegon the king's firstborn son. 

The greens fought for Aegon and the blacks fight for Rhaenyra. 

You see children, after the death of her father, the bloodthirsty Queen was determined to ensure her place on the Iron throne. She sent an assassin to kill Aegon's two children. Queen Helaena, after finding her children's bodies, threw herself from the nursery tower, joining her children in the afterlife. 

Aegon, having loved her his entire life, fled to Essos and married his sister, the Conquering Queen Daenyra-

"OOOOO YAY! DAENYRA!!!"

"Hush, Daenerys. Pay attention."

"Sorry, Aegon."

Together they had a son. They called him Daegon, for he was the manifestation of their love. Threatened once more by the prospect of a rival Heir, Rhaenyra ordered for the babe to be killed. 

When Daegon was but a moon old a man under Daemon Targaryen entered the Castle in Camalot. He snuck up the back staircase, past the guards. He climbed across the side of the castle wall, entering the nursery from the window. 

Hearing a noise, the guards stationed at the door entered the room to find the man standing over the sleeping babe. Before either of the guards could lay a hand on their swords the man's knife was imbedded in the young heir's heart.  

The man was captured and they learned who sent him. 

King consort Aegon was first to the scene. His cries of anguish shook the walls of the keep. They say it began to rain at his cries as if even the gods mourned with him. 

All became dangerously quiet as the Golden Conquerer entered the room. Aegon was on his knees, sobbing into his hands in front of the blood-soaked cradle. 

Slowly and gracefully as a lion creeping through the grass, Daenyra approached her baby. He lay silent as if he were sleeping. 

But the dagger still sticking out of his chest and the unnatural stillness smacked her with the awful truth... Daegon was dead. 

No one moved for a moment. waiting. watching, as the queen processed her own grief. 

Then like an unexpected clap of lightning, Daenyra roared with rage and pain. Her agony shook the very walls. The roar of her dragon shook all of Essos as she felt her riders suffering. 

It no longer mattered who would get hurt.

Mercy was no longer an option. 

The words she told her husband echoed throughout history as her sobs grew silent, "If we can not be better than them, we must be so. much. worse... My sister should begin praying for the gods' mercy, she will find none with me..." 

That was the moment the game changed. 

No longer would the greens have a hope of winning. 

No longer did the blacks have a prayer of survival. 

Because a third party had finally entered the game...

And the Golden Targaryens did not lose.