Chapter 22

Daemon Targaryen had always been a man of ambition. 

As a second son, he was practically predetermined to always glow green with jealousy. When his brother was named king, he thought he would rise above his station to be at Viserys' side. Time and time again he was turned away, unacknowledged by the court. 

Then after his heirship was stripped from him, he found his way to the Iron throne by Rhaenyra. Rhaenyra was a simple girl, viscous but not a real strategist. She was pretty but most importantly she was named heir to the seven kingdoms. 

Rhaenyra had always been infatuated with the Rouge prince so it wasn't difficult to reach for her. She practically threw herself into his arms. 

Daemon had never really paid much mind to his second niece, Daenyra. 

He liked her well enough, even loved her as he saw himself within her. She was clever and cheeky and had a silver tongue that could cut like a knife. But she was the second daughter and not set to inherit anything and she was much too young to suit his taste at the time he knew her. 

It wasn't until Laena's funeral that he saw the princess all grown up. She was seventeen at the time and to say she was gorgeous would be the understatement of the century. Rhaenyra, the realm's delight, looked plain next to her angelic younger sister. 

He had watched her the entirety of the day, a burning desire for her igniting as she floated about the procession. 

Thoughts of having her filled his head like a spreading virus as he continued to glance at her every so often. 

But then Rhaenyra approached him with an offer, he could be king consort of Westeros. The battle between a newly discovered lust and long-desired ambition was not difficult. Sure the idea of fucking Daenyra was appealing but he had craved the Iron Throne for much longer. 

So he married Rhaenyra and a few months later he regretted it. 

Rhaenyra was spoiled and whiny and desperate for constant attention. She would go into a furious rage if he stayed out too long. Every time she pulled rank, saying 'I order you as your future queen' he felt like gliding Dark-sister across her fucking throat. 

She was too affectionate, hanging off him every moment of the day and the sex grew very boring rather fast. She didn't let him touch her at all after she got pregnant but she still wanted him at her side at all times. 

When the first letter arrived from Essos, Daemon found his disdain grow.  

Daenyra was becoming a Queen herself. She was conquering Essos. 

His first thought was that he should have done that first. Then he imagined fighting the mighty historic battles at her side. They called her the second Targaryen conqueror and Daemon craved the glory she was earning. 

One night he even brought up the idea of marrying Daenyra as well. They could be Aegon and his sister-wives reborn. They could assist Daenyra in her conquest and be king and queens of both Essos and Westeros. 

Rhaenyra was furious with him for suggesting such a thing. So instead of joining Daenyra in glorious battle, he was forced to remain trapped in Dragonstone.

Daemon was enraged when he found out Daenyra had married. Rhaenyra was enraged at Daemon for being enraged. She was so insecure that Daemon would prefer her little sister if they were to all marry. Not that Daemon did anything to dissuade his wife's fears. 

In the heat of the constant arguments, Daemon would often use Daenyra to hurt Rhaenyra. Comparing the sisters and proclaiming how much better Daenyra would be as a queen.